Have your baby CAGs died?

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
I had a similar experience with armando, he came home ill. Mexico have some corruption problems as well and is hard to find reliable breeders, mine was clearly not one. Armando arrived on a Wednesday, after a few days with me he was lethargic and had a bad sinus infection we rushed to the vet and started collapsing in front of my eyes!! it was horrible he was nebulized and the vet gave him some shots (antibiotics) he was not eating anything at all. The vet send me home after he was stabilized and told me to give him oral serum for kids and food supplement 1cc to 2cc every hour for two days and antibiotics once a day . After 3 days he started improving and now armando is gaining weight and becoming a big parrot. After the illness he had a weaning regressing and just ate hand feeding formula but that help him a lot to gain weight.
When you give them the antibiotic was he drinking the water? my vet told me to give him directly because they don't usually drink or eat when sick and also a key thing was keeping him hidratated as well, especially when diarrhea is present. Do some lab tests as soon as you suspect something but start with a general antibiotic and then switch to the proper one according to the lab tests results, some labs do a sensitivity test in order to see what antibiotic is the most effective.
My best to you,

Marco

OP
A

Aiki_Joker

Aug 12, 2016
Oman for now
Parrots
CAG
I am very sorry for your heartache and loss of two beautiful CAGs.

It seems as if there are varied forensics to work with, beginning with their origins in the miserable pet trade of shipping quantity and hoping for enough survivors to turn a profit. :( Birds can harbor all sorts of organisms that may opportunistically surface.

That they seem to flourish in the pet shops and eventually succumb in your care may point to the local environment. If the water is contaminated, you may need to rely on a bottled or purified product for drinking AND cleaning fruits/vegetables. Suspect chemical residue may also be present that cannot be removed from the skin. The cage looks nice, but unscrupulous vendors may used leaded paint. I would think a refinery would spew all sorts of particulates, but evidence suggests it is not an immediately lethal zone. Pesticides, air fresheners, presence of mold?

Don't know if some sort of necropsy can be performed on your last bird. Freezing may preserve enough to give at least some analysis of tissue samples.

I wish you better luck in the future, and agree that bringing a bird from a trusted source in the absence of local breeders may bring more happiness.

Yes. The refinery definitely will produce some particulates. But regulations ate pretty good here and I think the traffic fumes would be worse :( Good info on the tissue samples. I thought I might get something from freezing the body. I might get some tests if they can do them here.

Yes, there is a lot of dust in the air here and my previous apartment had some mold. I had to spray the company furniture with bleach to get rid of it. The guys who moved the furniture didn't know how toxic this stuff is and they were dusting it off and spreading spores everywhere. That was before I got the birds. It just shows how ignorant people are. Mold toxicity in humans often goes unnoticed :0/ I spent weeks cleaning drying over and over again to get rid of the mold. Really not good :(

OP
A

Aiki_Joker

Aug 12, 2016
Oman for now
Parrots
CAG
:orange:
I had a similar experience with armando, he came home ill. Mexico have some corruption problems as well and is hard to find reliable breeders, mine was clearly not one. Armando arrived on a Wednesday, after a few days with me he was lethargic and had a bad sinus infection we rushed to the vet and started collapsing in front of my eyes!! it was horrible he was nebulized and the vet gave him some shots (antibiotics) he was not eating anything at all. The vet send me home after he was stabilized and told me to give him oral serum for kids and food supplement 1cc to 2cc every hour for two days and antibiotics once a day . After 3 days he started improving and now armando is gaining weight and becoming a big parrot. After the illness he had a weaning regressing and just ate hand feeding formula but that help him a lot to gain weight.
When you give them the antibiotic was he drinking the water? my vet told me to give him directly because they don't usually drink or eat when sick and also a key thing was keeping him hidratated as well, especially when diarrhea is present. Do some lab tests as soon as you suspect something but start with a general antibiotic and then switch to the proper one according to the lab tests results, some labs do a sensitivity test in order to see what antibiotic is the most effective.
My best to you,

Marco

Thanks for sharing your story! Yes the bird was drinking the water until the last night. Both birds were the same the stopped eating and drinking about 24 hours before they died :( I think it was definitely dehydration that got them in the end because they went so fast. One was dancing around 24 hours before then went quiet that night and was at the bottom of the cage dead the next morning.

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Thanks for sharing your story! Yes the bird was drinking the water until the last night. Both birds were the same the stopped eating and drinking about 24 hours before they died :( I think it was definitely dehydration that got them in the end because they went so fast. One was dancing around 24 hours before then went quiet that night and was at the bottom of the cage dead the next morning.

I,m so sorry, lets hope there is no next time for this and just a health baby and if disease strike make sure to give him orally the antibiotic and keep him well hydrated.

Have you got any results back? PBFD?

My best to you,

Marco

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO sorry for your losses, I am getting wet eyes reading this thread. THose poor babies, and greys at that, they are so smart and intellegent. Cant type anymore...

Most Reactions