CAG Social Adjustment

ScooterV

Dec 14, 2015
It's been about 9 months now since we got our then 11 year old CAG. She was previously seldom handled, and always by the male when she was. I made a post with a bunch of questions when we first got her.

Most things have gone even better than expected. Cage aggression was fixed. Not stepping up was fixed "mostly" other than when inside her cage pretty quick and now no problem at all. NOW, once I pick her up she won't get back off!!!! In the last few days she has even started biting my arm when I try to even put her back on a perch. She doesn't want off my arm. We had also been making what we thought was pretty good progress with bonding with my wife. As long as I had her off the cage first she would then step up for my wife. My wife is the only one giving any sort of treats. It seemed to be improving anyway. Right about the same time when the bird started fighting to NOT get off my arm we also noticed a rise in aggression though and she took a pretty good plug out of my wife's thumb as well. My wife also mentioned the way the bird looks at me and says she thinks the bird thinks I'm her mate now and isn't liking others getting close to me, much less trying to touch or handle her. She will even nip at me if others get to close to me.

Should I give less attention to her for now? She gets pretty irritated if not getting her daddy time for more than a couple days, but wondering if I'm making things worse giving it to her.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
I suspect she's a little hormonal right now - this behavior sounds pretty much normal for hormone season.

As far as the stepping up/stepping down thing is concerned, my technique is to do it quickly, so the bird doesn't have a chance to decide against it (approach the perch, bird up against it, usher bird onto perch with other hand, all in an instant). Then, lots of praise (and maybe a treat) for stepping down!!

They can definitely tell when you're tentative about it, and they WILL take advantage of your temerity!!! Don't give 'em the chance, and praise them for doing what you wanted (as if it was THEIR choice!).

It's worked for me...

OP
S

ScooterV

Dec 14, 2015
Oh, yes, as far as getting her back OFF my arm I've been quick about it since she started to fuss about it. I'll move her towards the perch, other hand on other side to distract her. She hasn't bit me hard, but I did what I could to not delay once she started that. Mentioning it was more in context of the totality of things. 100% improvement on most things after 9 months, then suddenly seems glued to me, and me alone to an extreme. She DID also just finish a molt, or almost done, if that has anything to do with it.

We were told when we got her she prefers males and has obviously been mine from day one here as well. It's the reversal after some slow and steady progress with my wife and others that disturbs me and the timing of not wanting to get off my hand matches. Not sure if she needs MORE attention from me and trying to state so, or needs less from me and instead sit on a stand by my wife even if just watching and not touching.

Most Reactions

Latest posts