Having Fun Buiding A Playground For Elsa

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I cant believe how hard it is to get little props for Budgies and items that can provide a budgie with a stimulating playground. I know I live in Ireland where parrot interactive toys are not that plentifully available to purchase but ladders with twirly rungs on them which Elsa doesnt like (she likes a firm perchstep on her ladder as most parrots would) or everything mirrored which Elsa doesnt like either...is all I coild find in the budgie section of the pet store. I did manage to get a swing and a little interesting perch with a stone that helps keep her little beak trimmed but the selection is so limited that I had to get inventive so I looked in the hamster section of the petshop and got a large cardboard tunnel a couple of cubes and slides and then visited the kids toy section and got a thingy that does something with sand. I also got the car there but added a wooden perch to the top. I changed the kids sand sifter thingy to suit my needs removing the two coloured cog wheels and using them to support a hamster shelf instead. I then added a ladder to the sand sifter frame and a bridge from it to the cube. All other additions other than this frame were available in the hamster section of the pet shop...there are a couple of other small bits and pieces I added in to make it a little more interesting. All toys are made from safe wood or plastic so are safe for Elsa. This is what me and Elsa have so far put together. Elsa says she is not sure she will play with all the toys yet but she likes the car and the tunnel and the ladders and the bridge but isnt too sure about the slide yet :)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I wonder how much it would cost to ship stuff from The U.S.OF.A to Ireland? There is so much Budgie stuff available here :confused: I could look into it for you Mary..

Jim

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I wonder how much it would cost to ship stuff from The U.S.OF.A to Ireland? There is so much Budgie stuff available here :confused: I could look into it for you Mary..

Jim

Its very expensive Jim to mail anything from the USA to Ireland. I got some toys a couple of years ago via a friend of mine in the USA and postage alone on a fairly medium small size box about 11 inches square cost almost $100...it was sn expensive shopping spree that I did not repeat hee hee the toys themselves were not that expensive and only cost a few dollars but the postage was eeal expensive and then depending on what you get there can be tax on it too which adds to the bill again...crazy isnt it...Thanks all the same for the offer Jim it was very kind of you to think of looking into it for us

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Mary, Elsa's playground is adorable! I love her little car, the tunnel, the basketball goal, everything, you are so creative. Elsa's a very lucky girl.

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Thank you Allee she has just been to explore the new items some of the ladders she doesnt care for because they have twirley rungs and shes not too sure about the slide yet either but she had a go...I think she okayed it and gave it the thumbs up or should I say feathers up :) when she gets a little more used of the new items I will take a little video of the Magnificent Elsa in action :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That is great Mary :D! Elsa sure won the jackpot when she met you! Well, you both won, didn't you? :)

I can't wait to see Elsa's next video on her playground!! Custom built just for her... Back off Mr. Biggles and Peter Pan! ;)

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
That is great Mary :D! Elsa sure won the jackpot when she met you! Well, you both won, didn't you? :)

I can't wait to see Elsa's next video on her playground!! Custom built just for her... Back off Mr. Biggles and Peter Pan! ;)
Ha ha Peter Pan is not big into tricks she does a few but mostly when she is out she just wants to snuggle and kiss and talk to me get scritches and sit on my shoulder (she has loads of words and sentences that make sense)...she will wave and say good bye to me but not on command like Mr Biggles does with his wave. Peter Pan waves good bye only when I am leaving the room where as Mr Biggles will wave whenever you ask him to...well me and Elsa gave a trial run to some of the new additions to the playground...I just realised I didnt have her wheel in the pic...its a Hamster wheel and made of wood. I did a little video...shes still unsure of the new additions but she is very courageous...if that was Mr Biggles or Peter Pan heading into a whole new playground they hadnt seen before it would take them a week or more to even accept it but little Elsa was willing to give things a go even though she was a little bit unsure...Brave Girl...yes Julie indeed I did land on my feet when I got her she is Adorable and you should hear her squawk when I scritch the wrong spot :) This little clip shows her objection to scritches in the wrong spot and it also shows she can fly but I wasnt fast enough to follow her with the camera. She doesnt accept any treats from my hand thiugh but I was reading Norman Barrets interview and he said that he doesnt give his treats but gives them praise and scritches as a reward so msybe Budgies arent big into treats...anyway heres a short clip of Elsa giving out to me
[ame="https://youtu.be/u9UT7-B91BI"]A Little Snuggle Before We Spread Our Wings And Fly Off - YouTube[/ame]

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Elsa gives a trial run to some of the additions to her playground...brave girl...although she was unsure she still had a go
[ame="https://youtu.be/lybBUkrd2Q0"]Elsa Exploring New Toys In Her Playground - YouTube[/ame]

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wonderful videos of Elsa, Mary :)! You really have a circus bird in the making I think! She's very talented, and so willing to try new things. I can see her becoming a YouTube sensation ;).

OP
BIRDIGIRL

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Wonderful videos of Elsa, Mary :)! You really have a circus bird in the making I think! She's very talented, and so willing to try new things. I can see her becoming a YouTube sensation ;).

Hee hee Elsa the Star...and she is a little Star...I cant believe how she does all she does on her feet before flying off up into my hair usually :) Hows little Chip doing we need more pics of the little man :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Bravo, Elsa! I love her, she is so smart and fears nothing. It takes days for Piper and Twinkle to accept a new toy, they would run away screeching from an entire play ground. Cute videos, thank you, Mary and Elsa!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That looks great! I especially love the little car...with a perch for a seat:D And she is a very well behaved budgie. I love you can just hold her in your hand and how just a gentle nudge along and she did everything you asked. What a cutie!

Most Reactions

Latest posts