Hazardous acrylic toy

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank GOD I was home when this happened! I JUST put that toy into Sam's cage last night. I've had it for a while, and it was time to do some toy rotations.

DO NOT purchase this toy, and if you have it, THROW IT OUT! Sam put his head into it, and almost hung himself as the middle part moves back and forth.

My heart is STILL going 100 miles/minute. I am VERY lucky I caught him right away. I don't even want to think about the "what ifs". :(

HazardToy.jpg

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Thanks for the warning My daughter has that same toy for her sugar gliders and I was going to look at the next bird show for one for the parrots:eek:. Not anymore:(

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Guess you didn't think to take any 'after' pics ? ? ?

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Scary stuff! You think because something is made for birds it should be safe. Hanks for the heads up. I'm glad you were there to save him.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Thanks for the warning, Wendy! :( Thank god Sam is okay.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
OMG WENDY ! 1 wrong toy is too many . Thank GOODNESS you caught that toy in time. Just hate to think of your " what ifs " :eek: after what happened with tab and Fargo I have been on watch for what toys I bring in, now after what happened to sam i am thoroughly inspecting each and every toy . Also, Wendy if you don't mind me asking where did you buy that toy ?

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thanks for warning us Wendy! I am glad Sam is ok! I know how you feel as I had exactly the same happen with a certain toy a few months ago. If I had not have been here at the time, then I know the results would have been tragic:(

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I don't know where Jersey Wendy bought hers But my daughter bought it at a bird fair in Sarasota Fla. The same stand sells lots of acrylic toys, and they sell at a lot of the bird fairs or shows:)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Just reinforces what we all know...Any toy can be a hazard. Always supervise any new toy. Especially with moving parts. Glad all is okay!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OMG WENDY ! 1 wrong toy is too many . Thank GOODNESS you caught that toy in time. Just hate to think of your " what ifs " :eek: after what happened with tab and Fargo I have been on watch for what toys I bring in, now after what happened to sam i am thoroughly inspecting each and every toy . Also, Wendy if you don't mind me asking where did you buy that toy ?

Maheen, I honestly don't remember WHERE I bought it. I've had this thing for quite some time, but never used it as it had fallen to the bottom of my toy container. When I rotated the Amazon's toys the other evening, I actually dumped the container and saw it again.

I "may have" picked that thing up at my local pet shop...but I'm not 100% sure.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Thanks so much for that warning! You probably have saved a parrot's life! And thank god Sam is okay! I'll watch out for toys like that for Ozzie. Thanks again!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thanks for the warning! I'm staying away from toys with moving parts similar to it.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the warning! So many parrot products are dangerous for our birds and it's our job to judge any toy we see. Thankyou so much for telling us about this.

My favorite brand of toy is planet treasures :) I'm so happy Petco and Petsmart carries their stuff.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Always good to get a heads up on a dangerous toy! Too bad you don't know where it came from so you could report the risk to the manufacturer so no one else has to deal with a potential tragedy :-(

Just a reminder to everyone, always examine every new toy to make sure there are no holes/gaps a toe or head could get caught in, and to regularly examine in-use toys for any damage that could potentially cause an injury!

Most Reactions

Latest posts