He flew!!!..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
GGOOOOOO AMY!

My Sugar hadn't learned to fly as young as your Amy. I was told I could not teach a 13 year old bird to fly, but I was determined to have him fly. I started off with running about with him on my arm. As soon as he would feel the wind (yes outside- a bit foolish in hindsight, but I didn't know better), he would tuck his wings in to make as little wind resistance as possible. I then had to train a "wings" command on the stand. Once the command was well trained, I would run with him and shout "WINGS!". Fortunately Sugar is so nice (or stupid) and he would open his wings and the wind would get hold of them. After doing that for some months he eventually flapped his wings and he flew 3-4 meters to the ground. After that we would do this with a harness on with a long lead.

I think it took me about 6 months training before he started flying short bursts. Another 6 months before he got quite good at it.
sillein-albums-my-birds-picture17287-14-year-old-male-b-g-macaw-2002.jpg

He will never be as good as the ones who learned flying during their natural fledging. He prefers to fly off my arm and he always lands on the ground. I have tried to teach him to land on other surfaces, but he just doesn't trust them (probably due to quite a few crash landings in his early days and due to me training outside in fields in the beginning, where he could only land on the ground).

So AMY YOU CAN DO IT!

Inspiring story and magnificent image!!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Jim, I guess I'm another one late to the party not realizing Amy wasn't flighted. Congrats on the progress, that's awesome!

When I had Cuckoo, I assumed he couldn't fly, since the only times he ever tried we're controlled crashes to the floor. After 12 years, one day my brother in law came to visit and did something that spooked him. He took off and flew laps around the living room. So proud!!! The scary part was realizing he could actually fly after the many trips out around the yard on my shoulder! He never liked the breeze, and always snuggled in against my neck. Those were the only instances he ever allowed me to hold my hand over his back, which made him feel more secure. Once back inside, no more hand thank you very much. :p

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
…. :eek: :D! Amy!! yippeeee!!!! We were in the computer room and he was on his new "X" perch Uncle David made as a Christmas present for both of them. I was vacuuming the hall then the 'puter room,picking up nutraberry debris and the likes. The sound of the vac must have gotten him scared and he jumped off the perch and flapflapflapped to the floor...and DIDN"T crash land!! He went about ten feet or so. The sound of those arms waving were amazing and music to my ears :60:
What an awesome sight and sound. My little green dino is learning to fly!

Jim

That's wonderful Jim. Congratulations!! Go Amy!! It is very very cool!

I didn't have a choice either & at the time didn't know the difference. When I went back to pick up Levi they had clipped him. Than the 1st few times at he Vet she clipped him also. All info I was receiving at that time was Pro Clipping. Until I learned the benefits from this community.

I've been working on him flying to me, but he is hesitant & just keeps lifting his leg for me to pick him up. However, the other day I was on the phone & wasn't paying attention & he flew into my hands … ha :D
I was so happy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts