Head Bobbing!

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Hi all! I wanted to share about some behavior my parrot has been experiencing since she grew up.
Rainy loves music and noise, and it's an everyday occurrence for her to bob her head whenever there is music, or if I tap on a hard surface. Just about any noise will excite her, or she'll just bob her head seemingly for fun or in response when I'm talking to her. I'm so curious as to the most emphatic head bobs. She will often bob her head extending it as far as it will go, and bump her beak on the closest surface. My personal take is that she's just delighted by the noise it makes. It's always on a hard surface, like a jar or her cage bars. She seems completely happy when she does this--although I do know some "cute" behaviors can sometimes actually be negative ones. But mostly I'm just curious as to if any of your birds do this, and what else you've observed pertaining to that behavior. :)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh how sweet! ๐Ÿ˜

My Quaker Tony does this too! He will bob his head along with my finger or when heโ€™s saying โ€˜doot doot dootโ€™

As long as she appears to be just doing this for fun and with music or things like that, Iโ€™m certain itโ€™s a harmless behavior.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi all! I wanted to share about some behavior my parrot has been experiencing since she grew up.
Rainy loves music and noise, and it's an everyday occurrence for her to bob her head whenever there is music, or if I tap on a hard surface. Just about any noise will excite her, or she'll just bob her head seemingly for fun or in response when I'm talking to her. I'm so curious as to the most emphatic head bobs. She will often bob her head extending it as far as it will go, and bump her beak on the closest surface. My personal take is that she's just delighted by the noise it makes. It's always on a hard surface, like a jar or her cage bars. She seems completely happy when she does this--although I do know some "cute" behaviors can sometimes actually be negative ones. But mostly I'm just curious as to if any of your birds do this, and what else you've observed pertaining to that behavior. :)
Head bobbing is a sign of positive excitement! In budgies and cockatiels it'd usually a male bird behavior. What kind of bird is she? Are you certain she's a girl?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Bird in the picture is a crossover quaker and looks just like mine......

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph bobs his head to show that he likes something, wants something, wants me to repeat something I've said or done, and sometimes to let me know he agrees with what I've said. He also likes to tap on things with his beak and we often play tapping games. Ralph will tap on his cage, a perch or his favorite shelf in the kitchen cupboard, and I have to tap back the same number of times and at the same speed. If I get it wrong, I get squawked at. :p

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Head bobbing is a sign of positive excitement! In budgies and cockatiels it'd usually a male bird behavior. What kind of bird is she? Are you certain she's a girl?
Hi! Sheโ€™s a crossover quaker. Iโ€™m not sure of Rainyโ€™s sex, but her breeder said they find the crossovers are usually female. Iโ€™ve been thinking about getting her DNA tested.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Hi! Sheโ€™s a crossover quaker. Iโ€™m not sure of Rainyโ€™s sex, but her breeder said they find the crossovers are usually female. Iโ€™ve been thinking about getting her DNA tested.
IQ bird testing they can use a feather blood anything and it's 12 bucks.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
IQ bird testing they can use a feather blood anything and it's 12 bucks.
I was reading up on that the other day! Where did you get yours tested? I saw a lot of labs with reasonable prices but wasn't sure how to pick the best one.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I was reading up on that the other day! Where did you get yours tested? I saw a lot of labs with reasonable prices but wasn't sure how to pick the best one.
I somehow just don't trust the results of a test that's so cheap. You can't even buy a home Covid test for less than $20.
Is the crossover trait sex linker? If so, it would be pretty easy to determine the gender if you knew what the parents looked like. Where either parents crossover?

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
I somehow just don't trust the results of a test that's so cheap. You can't even buy a home Covid test for less than $20.
Is the crossover trait sex linker? If so, it would be pretty easy to determine the gender if you knew what the parents looked like. Where either parents crossover?
I agree about the cost, but maybe itโ€™s just not as difficult/costly of a process to conduct as I thought? I didnโ€™t see one over $20 when I looked.
Iโ€™m honestly unsure about what results in a crossover. I think her parents were an albino female and a blue male, but the breeder didnโ€™t specify. I may ask when Iโ€™m at their shop next.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I agree about the cost, but maybe itโ€™s just not as difficult/costly of a process to conduct as I thought? I didnโ€™t see one over $20 when I looked.
Iโ€™m honestly unsure about what results in a crossover. I think her parents were an albino female and a blue male, but the breeder didnโ€™t specify. I may ask when Iโ€™m at their shop next.
I read a little about crossover genetics and it's very complicated and I have a biological science background and usually understand genetics really well. I may look at it more closely. What exactly does your quaker look like? Is it the bird in your member picture? s he white? What color eyes?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I've used them 4 times as long ago as 5 years ago.....they are legit.

I'm not affiliated I live in Minnesota.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
That's so cute! Tequila bobs her head and I always thought it was because she enjoyed the music when we went on car trips but she started throwing up so I realised she was just car sick. She only bobs her head now to regurgitate her food to my other conure, Sierra. Sierra will bob her head when you nod at her or when she's angry at you, followed by angry tapping, especially if she's told no :ROFLMAO:

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
I read a little about crossover genetics and it's very complicated and I have a biological science background and usually understand genetics really well. I may look at it more closely. What exactly does your quaker look like? Is it the bird in your member picture? s he white? What color eyes?
Yep, the one in the picture! (S)he is white with blue accents and bluish grey eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 20

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
My sun conure bobs his head a lot. Out of my 3 parrots heโ€™s the only one who does it. I can really get him excited, and going. He will also swing side to side when he really gets going. It doesnโ€™t appear to be harmful. I guess I never thought to ask his vet why he does this.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My sun conure bobs his head a lot. Out of my 3 parrots heโ€™s the only one who does it. I can really get him excited, and going. He will also swing side to side when he really gets going. It doesnโ€™t appear to be harmful. I guess I never thought to ask his vet why he does this.
I think they do it when happily excited.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Yeah these birds aren't albino, it's just a coloring bred into them for prettyness. You won't find that in the wild. Especially since it has blue on the back end.

Most Reactions

Latest posts