Health Checks for New Bird?

Parrotlet

Feb 3, 2015
I've just gotten a 9 year old Jardine. Absolutely fab little chap but doesn't really live up to the Jardines description. I find he just wants to sit on my shoulder and sleep most of the time, I've not seen him play with his toys yet (it's early days though) but he has an excellent appetite and scoffs most things I give him after a little initial obsession with sunflower seeds.

It's just the general lethargy that concerns me, what tests should I ask an avian vet to run?

Also does anyone know of any decent vets nearish Barnsley South Yorkshire? (uk).

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Any avian vet should be able to do a general wellness check, a fecal check, and run basic viral blood tests. Not all birds live up to their "species description," so he may just be a chill bird or still be adjusting to the change (a whole new world would be exhausting to me!) But better safe than sorry...

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
Braxy loves to nap on me and isn't very loud, he's 10 months so I assume he's just a baby still.

OP
P

Parrotlet

Feb 3, 2015
Yeah I think he's just a snuggle bug tbh but better safe than sorry.

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hello, Older parrots become less playful. I will always take a new parrot to my vet. We purchased a hand fed parrot at a large store. On my vets advise we took her to Dr Taylor at the guelph university and the plack in her throat were eleaned up. They were small but visible to the naked eye. On the video moniror they looked like dinner plates When I had them they were VERY painfull. So if you hand feed check this as a habbit. ( When asked by the manager of the pet dept how we knew ) We looked after the vet looked and told us, I always have looked since!. Good luck D.D.

Most Reactions

Latest posts