Health Issues!Need advice

kalinka

Jan 21, 2013
Cleveland Ohio
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
We checked at a vet our greys excrements and the vet says the she found overgrown bacterials in it. She said it can be because of stress and his lifestyle change. So we will have to check it again later. However, I am worried that none of medications was given. I am scared to sit and wait while this issue will transfer into something more serious. Isnt it better to start treatment as early as possible? Should I visit a different vet for a second opinion? The bird is doing fine, very active, eats a lot and looks good. I am very worried right now, especially because the vet did not say anything exactly and did not tell what kind of bacteria she found in his stool. Please, tell me what you think I should do! Thank you

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
If he is very active, eating, playing and looking great, then he should be alright. If he is on the bottom of the cage, puffed up, looking sleepy, not eating, not playing, etc, then you should take him to the vet again. From what you have said, he should be fine.

However, you can go to anther vet now and see what's their option.

But I'll say watch closey this few days, if there is any changes, take him to the vet.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
The bacteria he's referring to is "bad" bacteria , we/them have good and bad bacteria to help us breakdown foods. In a healthy GI tract the good bacteria usually keep the bad bacteria in check. Sickness,stress causes the bad bacteria to gain a foothold and take over. If you give antibiotics it will kill both the good and bad and no telling which will win out in the end. I'd get FRESH apple cider mixed in their water( helps with PH) and probotics to help establish the good bacteria. Fresh unpasterized yogurt works well too.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would recommend getting some non-alcoholic milk thistle extract. This will help to support the liver, and the liver in turn can help to detoxify the body. I'm not sure on the exact amounts for an african grey, but for a cockatiel it was .1 cc, and they usually weigh around 100 grams, give or take. Another option is 1 drop of milk thistle per 1 oz of water, changed twice a day as drinking water. I don't know how effective this is as I haven't done it that way before.

OP
kalinka

kalinka

Jan 21, 2013
Cleveland Ohio
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thanks everyone who read it and reply! I am taking my bird tomorrow for the another opinion to the vet. I just need to know what they found to understand.

Most Reactions

Latest posts