healthy babies :-)

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Binky my 11 month old quaker,brought him home July 11,2014. Olly my o.w.a is 8 years old.brought him home,sept.3rd. :-)
Binky don't mind the vet,Olly not so much! Lol..so far so good. Cept they are both a little over weight..Olly 428 grams! And Binky 115. Was told no biggie,also on the quarantine thing,vet said that unless you kept one bird outside that its impossible to quarantine if they are in the same house,breathing the same air,thru a.c etc. And unless u shower every single time u switch from being around each bird..its not quarantined. And she wouldn't worry bout it. Just sharing what she said. :) :orange: :green2:

Last edited:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Congrats on getting a clean bill of health on your babies;)

I've always wondered about the air in the house and such. I have Peanut in a different room than Sassy and Cisco, but I didn't know how that would really prevent airborne illnesses. I understand if there is anything that needs direct contact to be passed on, but not airborne.:22:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
482 grams is pretty hefty for a OWA! My BFA is only 420. Not sure about healthy conure weights... Sounds like Olly needs some exercise though! Could be a fun opportunity to start some training and start introducing him to all the yummy, healthy fresh foods he will likely protest eating:) Was Olly fed a seed only diet?

As for quarantine, unless you go OCD to the max about it (even then, there is no 100%), keeping them in separate rooms and washing your hands between handling just LESSENS the risk. Think about it this way- you're a lot less likely to catch a cold from someone who is just in the same building as you than you are if they're sitting right next to you, breathing their germs right into your airspace:20:

OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Binky my 11 month old quaker,brought him home July 11,2014. Olly my o.w.a is 8 years old.brought him home,sept.3rd. :-)
Lol yes kiwi,olly is a fatty.but he's eating healthy and out of his cage lots and lots...prolly just got over weight at the breeders sitting in cage all the time...:) binky is a quaker..he really is close to his right weight. Forgot to add...no olly ate pellets,veggies..not sure how much...lol sorry was suppose to say 428 grams..not 482

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That is true about the quarantine, which is why we we're run so ragged when we had our baby budgies, because we were showering and changing every time we handled them, while hand feeding, and they resisted feeding at first. In the beginning we were feeding every three hours and it was taking two hours to feed. We got nothing done in our lives but feeding babies...

BUT, your birds are at far less risk for catching something if they are housed farther away from each other, and the caves changed once a day or more, and you at least was your hands between, and perhaps change any clothing the new bird has been on. Not perfect, but a good healthy step. I also always conduct disease testing right away for the big bad scary common diseases, it's a lot less stressful than just hoping and looking for symptoms, and a out cheaper than treating my whole flock if they catch something!

OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Bout to get a VERY nice more suitable cage for my o.w.a can't believe my good luck...the one I got isn't quite as big as I thought it would be,but he's out of it.all day. Anyway my daughter ask her pastor about a cage cause they no longer have birds...its 6 ft tall 2 ft. Wide,said I can have it for $ 50 !!!!!!!! :) :). :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That's a great price for a large cage:) Just make sure that the bar spacing is correct and check for any rust.

OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Thanks Terry,will do:) she keeps it indoors..the way my daughter talked its a fancy /furniture type cage! We shall see...can't wait!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That's a great price for a large cage:) Just make sure that the bar spacing is correct and check for any rust.

Terry brings up a good point there. I have not forgotten the post on the "very large" parrot cage you got for free and the dimensions given very much make me think of that cage:eek::eek::eek: (hope you don't mind me linking your post)
http://www.parrotforums.com/cages/47431-horrible-new-cage.html

"Decorative" cages can be just fine (like the scallop top and pagoda ones that are very popular right now, yet still designed with parrot in mind) or they can be HORRIBLY inappropriate and downright cruel to house an animal in. Just be sure it's an appropriate shape and safe:) Also note, amazons do best with 5/8-1" bar spacing. They also need fairly thick bars or else they can break the welds with their beaks. Most need a very secure "bird proof" lock or padlock. Even a very large cage intended to house numerous smaller birds may not be appropriate for one very large bird (also depends on how rough Olly is as an individual. I know Kiwi wouldn't snap bars or be able to pick the simplest of locks, but many parrots like to destroy whatever they can and are escape artists!).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts