hello all old breeder--new to forums

littleT

Dec 20, 2012
hello everyone,im an old breeder but new to forums-----im a 61 yr old male.i have a pair of blue front amazons and a pair of double yellohead parrots.i also have a dna male double yellowhead.none are pets.in the last 25 yrs i have raised all sorts of finches--lovebirds--ringnecks--african greys-orange wing amazons and turkeys--chickens and turkeys,quail and chucker quail.--i sold out a few years back and now have decided i didnt want to stop!!!

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Welcome to the forums! :) Have you met henpecked yet? ;)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey littleT, welcome to the forum. I'm 56 ,male and still breeding some (birds that is).Where are you located?

OP
L

littleT

Dec 20, 2012
hello im 61 and breed every chance i get!!!!!!!-------i live in n.c..i live in the country--have a good sized garden--carpenter/painter/computer repairman farmer----whatever makes a dollar these days.i have bird in a building however its still pretty chilly in there.trying to figure out how to take care of it.what is your experance with tail bobing by amazons.? the female i have bobs her tail---i carried to the vet last week--he says everything looks good to him--he said because its a new place she is alittle stressed,--ive only had birds for a week now--i keep my birds on live streaming over the web 24 hours a day.i can check on them from anywhere and others can enjoy. here are the 2 double yellow heads.i got from an old couple.the female is sexed at 5 yrs old--the other is 9 yrs old--no dna sex--looks like a rooster ,may have to get it sexed--breeder said he was sure but he never got it sexed.the birds cuddle-preen so far-he works the box alot--she eats and craps!!i have a dna sexed male also but the others are bonded and dont want to mess them up. i feed--sun seed for amazons--pellets from pretty bird--apple--orange--carrot-sweet potato--peppers--corn and beans ---most i grow myself--also collards--cabbage--onions--okra and mellons---if they will eat it --i give to them.what would be a safe tree limb for them to chew on?-----i am in the market for a double yellowhead female for this rooster is anyone knows of one.thanks!!!

Last edited:
OP
L

littleT

Dec 20, 2012
i also have a proven<not by me yet> pair of blue fronts also---they are nice birds here is a pic of them also

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
hey T, i'm from Wilm and the outer banks, semi-retired comm fisherman now living in Fla and have kids in college at ECU. I;m in NC often and sell birds to several people there. About the DYHs , the hen is still too young at 5 yrs and the male is just becoming mature. It's a good match and should produce for many,many years. They're young enough to grow up in your setup and should do well. The tail bobbing probably labored breathing and has me worried.Could be respiratory infection, do you have fresh pine shaving in the nest box? New boxes ? No moldy stuff. New dry substrata under them? I have dragonwood perches that i use for amazons, cut it myself around here, not native to your area but you can use dry oak,hickory or pecan also. Give me some lengths and i can send you some. What nest boxes are you using? I can send you plans for the ones i use. Diet is a big deal ,especially with the breeder birds.I can help you out with that. This time of year the hi-pro pellets and seeds are good. I'd look into getting a Red Palm Oil supplement ,we use Sunshine Factor. It's needed to prevent future issues with Vit A /liver problems. Start a thread in the amazon section or PM me anytime you have questions. Plenty of good members here , but breeding is not a popular subject on the open forum. Still the health and happiness of your birds is a very important factor for good breeding with zons.

Last edited:
OP
L

littleT

Dec 20, 2012
i did put bedding of pine in box but she hasnt been it the box yet.i took her to the vet.he said everything looked and sounded good.i know i was worried that why the vet.he checked vent -- nose-- mouth --and listened to lungs 4 days ago----nothin there he says!!

Most Reactions