Hello All!

Jessia

Aug 28, 2012
Hello! I'm a new member of the forum, and a potential new bird owner. I used to have a few parakeets when I was younger, but now that I'm living on my own, I'm looking into getting a bird of my own. I would love to get some opinions on what would be the best bird for me from more experienced owners! Here is some information about me:

- I own a townhouse, which only has a shared wall in the garage. Noise isn't too much of a concern in terms of bothering the neighbors, although I would prefer to be on the quieter side of noisy!
- I work from home most days, so would either be sitting right near the cage, or would be able to have the bird out with me a good portion of the time.
- I plan on devoting at least an hour each day to interacting and handling my bird... Provided he or she is in the mood!
- I would like to teach my bird tricks, but talking is of no concern. Though cute, I'm looking more for a friendly companion to keep me company and have fun with.

I visited a local bird store/breeder over the weekend. They have a reputation second to none around here, and have been around for over 20 years. I also have an avian vet lined up, and have been doing lots of research!

I'm very much leaning towards a conure: In particular, the breeder has three 2-3 month old baby green cheek/black capped conures available. I saw them over the weekend, and they seemed to be right in line with what I'm looking for. I know about the nippiness, but my previous pet was a little terrier who was known for biting. Pretty sure this won't be as bad as that!

Does this type of conure sound like a good match for me? I have a pretty set schedule, but a bird would easily fit in and become a part of my life. I have about a million more questions, but I wanted my introduction to be somewhat concise! Ha ha!

Thanks for any and all help!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome to the forum:)

It sounds like you have done alot of research on this subject... Good for you:)

A GCC or BCC is a great choice:) I personally like the BC :) I think they are adorable.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Welcome to the forums jessia it sounds to me like your describing a conure or a Senegal some species of conure tend to be loud compared to others such as the sun conure and the green cheek etc senegal's are lovely birds to have as they are cuddly and can make you laugh with there silly antics if you are looking to get a conure I would say a yellow sided conure would be a great bird for you as these conures don't tend to be loud and they make great pets the same as the Senegal.

OP
J

Jessia

Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for the warm welcome! Actually, I forgot to mention the the hybrid conures I was looking at were a mix between a black capped conure and a yellow sided green cheek conure. Lots of descriptions there! Ha ha! I'm going to be visiting the store again this week, since they offered to let me interact with them while I was there. I think that will certainly give me a good idea of what to expect, at least in terms of the basics. I haven't handled a bird in a long time, so it seems like a good idea to take my time to make sure that I'll be OK with it!

I'm mainly concerned about my schedule, only because though I'll be around a lot of the time, I'll probably just be able to talk to my bird during the majority of the day. Cage positioning is also a tad bit tricky: The best place seems to be next to my desk, though it's carpeted. I'm also thinking about what to do around bedtime for the bird, which will be a little earlier than when I'm off of the computer. Or I might try for a slightly later bedtime around 9 PM, which might save me from being woken up too early!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
The 2 Loudest Conures are the Sun and Jenday!! Most of the other species of Conures are tolerable, although they can all have their loud moments, as with any Bird lol

OP
J

Jessia

Aug 28, 2012
Ha ha! I got to hear some of the bird noises when I visited with them: The conures I was looking at had their loud moments, but it was nothing compared with some of the other birds! One cockatoo was ready for some playtime, and he wanted to let everyone know! There was another type of conure that had a rather loud voice. I'm sure these ones have another range altogether, but I can definitely tolerate some loudness throughout the day. I would just prefer the ear piercing screams to be kept to a minimum!

Most Reactions

Latest posts