hello! - and a 'coming home' question

clairep

Jun 17, 2013
New Zealand
Parrots
Frankie - lutino tiel hatched c.10/11
CAG - not yet home! hatched 4/4/13
Hi all, nice to be here!
We've currently got just the one feathered baby, a tiel called Frankie who was a rescue bird. Previously, we've had a pair of rainbow lories (I loved my lories!--used to cackle like lunatics and call my daughter's name in *exactly* my voice), and have done a bit of wild bird rescue/rehab with kakas (NZ endemic parrots) and seabirds (don't ask).
So, excitingly, in 6 weeks we will be bringing our CAG home--s/he (waiting on DNA) is 10 weeks old, and we've been talking about getting a larger bird for around 8 years now--but wanted to wait til the kids were a little older and capable of not being stupid around it. I am beside myself with excitement! (and will apologise now for having 20 million questions to ask of more experienced parrot people)
So, one question--we'll be bringing our bird from its current home around 7 hours' drive away. We're getting a suitable travel carriage for the journey, obviously--but do you think 7 hours is too much in one go, or is it best just to get the journey out of the way? Sorry, I know this may sound a stupid question, but the longest I've driven with a bird has been around an hour and, albeit that they were injured and utterly wild, they did get distressed. Thoughts much appreciated! Thanks so much!
claire
PS - Picture, if it works (apologies--seems to be sideways urgh), is of our new, as yet unnamed, baby on this weekend's visit :)

Attachments

• CAG_160613.jpg
    CAG_160613.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 118

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I just recently had a conure shipped to me. We had it planned out that she would only be in travel for a total of 12 hours (1 hr to get to the airport, 2 hrs to be at the airport before the take off, the rest of those hours consisting of being in flight and in a plane change/layover in one airport). Well, her original flight was delayed, so she missed her connecting flight and got stuck at that airport overnight! It was kind of stressful, especially with the rising temperatures!

After all was said and done, I estimated that she was in travel for a total of ~35 hours! She arrived safely!

Seven hours really doesn't sound that bad in comparison! :D

Gratz on your soon to be new addition! And if you have any photos and/or stories of the wild birds that you've helped out in the past, I'd love to hear/see them! (was in NZ couple years ago - very gorgeous country!)

Most Reactions