Hello everyone :) Owner of blue and gold macaws

Icey

Jun 15, 2014
I have 3 beautiful blue and gold macaws.
Frankie was the first one we bought. He is 1 1/2 years old.
He talks quite a bit and is very intelligent.
We have had him about 5 months now.
He is my baby. He will let me stroke him, but gets upset when my partner tries to. He climbs down off his cage to come see me and to get his peanuts.
Next came Samantha, about 2 months ago. She is about 11 years old, though we want to get her aged to be certain. She was previously owned by a man, but didn't like his girlfriend. I was warned when my partner came home with her to be careful, as she didn't like females and would probably bite me.
(gee thanks)
She would lunge at us through her cage the first 2 nights. The third day my partner coaxed her out and had her on his arm. I went to pet her and she just sat there. I asked her to step up on me, and she did. I was nervous, but began to pet her and other than a few warning pecks she was okay.
As the days wore on, she started regurgitating whenever she was near me. She plays tickle tickle and peek a boo with me daily.
We have formed a very close bond now, and it's beginning to worry me.
She is super jealous if I spend time with Frankie. She will actually go on his cage and try to fight with him.
I discourage it constantly and tell her to behave.
Now if my partner kisses me, she gets aggressive towards him, but will yell at me. Yes, you read that right...she YELLS at me.
Then pecks me, like she's warning me????
Well, with my partner being discouraged that none of the birds will take to him, we found a baby blue and gold just last week.
She turns 1 year old next week. She is still eating oatmeal, so I spoon feed her twice a day.
Her name is Bebe.
She comes chasing after me if I leave the room for too long.
But if I take her on the couch and sit with her, Samantha sees me with her and comes zooming down her cage and will come pitter pattering across the floor to get to me.
Then she will try to attack Bebe.
I love her to pieces, but can anyone suggest ways so she's not so possessive of me? Or aggressive with the other birds?
Sorry for the long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you
Icey :blue1:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forum! We have some very knowledgeable members who can help with behaviors specific to your macaws. Congrats on your youngest new family member. We would love to see photos of your feathered kids!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi and welcome
I reckon give your birds time to settle down, everything is still strange to them.
Rather not let the birds interact with each other for a while, let them get used to each other from a distance, even if they are in their cages.

Some birds take longer to settle down and fit into their new environment.
Sure in time all the aggressiveness with ease off.

Ps would love to see some pic's

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Sounds like she's picked you as her mate and considers your partner to be the interloper.

OP
I

Icey

Jun 15, 2014
Well tonight I got in from work, and as usual, say hello to all my parrots and let them out their cages.
Bebe rushed over to me, beating Samantha to get to me, so I petted her first.
When I went to pick up Samantha she bit me.
I put her in her cage, and covered her, and even as I type this she is banging her toys around and peeking under her cover, and when she says Bebe near me starts screaming.
I just put Bebe in her cage and all is quiet now.
I know it's mating season and the birds are a bit funny right now, but wow, she is really being a bully to everyone!
I don't know if it's because of this that she's acting so aggressively all of a sudden, but I hope it passes soon.

Icey :blue1:

OP
I

Icey

Jun 15, 2014
This is Samantha and Frankie....Samantha is on the left.
Other pic is Samantha playing with my dog.

Attachments

• DSCN2906.jpg
    DSCN2906.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN2925.jpg
    DSCN2925.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 109

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
Hello and welcome Icey! I am very new here and also new to the parrot world so I don't have any words of wisdom fo you. You do sound like you have your hands full! Was the bite bad? I have heard they can be pretty awful coming from big birds like yours. With our little Caique we are expecting at least 6 months of "getting to know you time". Hopefully in time your flock will get used to the routine and each other!

Most Reactions