Sumara, The Green Cheek of a Thousand Titles

AshVee

Mar 12, 2024
Parrots
Banshee (Parakeet)
Sumara (GCC - Pineapple) - Hatched 5/28/2023
Pikachu (Cockatiel) - RIP Grumpy Old Man
Recently, I posted for advise for a companion for a parakeet who's cockatiel companion had passed away. I did some research and headed out to a not so local reputable breeder/conservation/bird store with the plan to find a cockatiel that picked me to go home with. While all of their birds are hand raised to a certain age, they are then put in cages with their companion species and boy were some of their birbs gorgeous!

However, they never had interacted with parakeets and weren't overly interested in much other than their companions. While looking around and considering options, I made a major mistake. I stumbled into the Green Cheek aviary which just so happened to sit next to their parakeets. A few walnuts and my partner and I were very popular. After a lot of consideration, we selected a gorgeous girl who hung out and talked to the parakeets in their enclosure and showed a lot of interest but was a bit more hesitant to climb onto our hands than some of her flock.

All the way home, she was silent and terrified, but we expected this. She flew immediately to her new cage, was silent and sullen but woke with a SQUAWK! While trying to find her name, she's gone through several titles. She is eating her fresh and mash, is on a dried fruit/pellet/seed mix from her breeder, and is really just hanging out being the best bird companion. A week in, and she'll take treats from me both inside and outside of her cage, though she remains leery of my hands and her touch training stick.

All this to say, introducing Sumara, The Lady of Feathers, Valkyrie of the Next, Duchess Von Flap-Flap, Protectorate of the Mangos.

Attachments

• 20240322_201202.jpg
    20240322_201202.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240323_131118.jpg
    20240323_131118.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 2

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Recently, I posted for advise for a companion for a parakeet who's cockatiel companion had passed away. I did some research and headed out to a not so local reputable breeder/conservation/bird store with the plan to find a cockatiel that picked me to go home with. While all of their birds are hand raised to a certain age, they are then put in cages with their companion species and boy were some of their birbs gorgeous!

However, they never had interacted with parakeets and weren't overly interested in much other than their companions. While looking around and considering options, I made a major mistake. I stumbled into the Green Cheek aviary which just so happened to sit next to their parakeets. A few walnuts and my partner and I were very popular. After a lot of consideration, we selected a gorgeous girl who hung out and talked to the parakeets in their enclosure and showed a lot of interest but was a bit more hesitant to climb onto our hands than some of her flock.

All the way home, she was silent and terrified, but we expected this. She flew immediately to her new cage, was silent and sullen but woke with a SQUAWK! While trying to find her name, she's gone through several titles. She is eating her fresh and mash, is on a dried fruit/pellet/seed mix from her breeder, and is really just hanging out being the best bird companion. A week in, and she'll take treats from me both inside and outside of her cage, though she remains leery of my hands and her touch training stick.

All this to say, introducing Sumara, The Lady of Feathers, Valkyrie of the Next, Duchess Von Flap-Flap, Protectorate of the Mangos.
Congrats @AshVee, and welcome home Sumara!!😍 I love her name and her most resplendent list of titles, they suit her regal bearing very well!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts