Hello everyone

Marlee99

Feb 13, 2011
:white1::D Hello all! I am a new owner of a 11 year old U2 that I just adopted on Saturday. I'm pretty tired and a little stressed out..lol!

I have two dogs and a cat that are all pretty stressed right now. Marlee is use to having dogs around and seems to be adjusting well. Dogs and bird can only see each other from about 6ft away. The bird is more concerned about the cat than the dogs. The cat at this point does not seem interested...thank god. ;)

The people that gave her up apparently did not have time anymore for her. :( They got a puppy and she has been sorta left in her cage since. She is fairly well behaved, no serious bad habits, does not bite, very affectionate, and all around stable bird.

Anyways I have been reading anything I can get my hands on about U2's. Including lots of threads on this site. Hope to talk to you all soon, I probably will have lot's of questions.

Marlee99;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats on the new Cockatoo! What kind is he?

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
Hey, Congrats on your new U2. Your cat probably won't take much interest in her... She is as big as if not bigger than most cats and could do some damage. lol. However, that is never a reason to leave them together. Which I am sure you know. That is sad though, the reasoning they got rid of her. Congrats to you and good luck.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new Too. I love U2s. I have a U2 in his upper 20s. He was a rescue. With time your pets will all grow use to each other. I will tell you though that when Sammy sounds off in the evening, the dogs howl. Poor things, it hurts their ears.

bells

Dec 12, 2010
Media
Cape Town, sunny South Africa
Parrots
Dex-6yr old F HR cockatiel
Dee-Dee-6yr old wild-tamed F cockatiel
Charlie- 18mnth old U2 rehomed
Welcome! I have found this forum incredibly helpful since getting my U2! and where else can you brag about your babies without people rolling their eyes?? :)

OP
M

Marlee99

Feb 13, 2011
Thanks everyone, to the poster who asked what kind of Cockatoo. She is a Umbrella, U2 for short...haha I'm learning the lingo quickly.

Her old owners did not put her to bed till very late. They lived in a basement apartment and didn't have much room. I am trying to keep her to my schedule. I do see that she seems to get pretty tired at around a 1/2 before dusk.

Basically she is covered by about 9:00 and then up at about 6:30. Is that o.k.? To much, to little, or just right?

I get up at about 6:00 every morning.

OP
M

Marlee99

Feb 13, 2011
Tooooo little ;-) 10-12 hrs or you'll get tantrums! Lol! ask me!

Oh, o.k. that is good to know. Yes last she was a little temperamental. So maybe that was why. I will need to put her to bed earlier then. I have to be up that early so that won't change. Thanks again, hope you all don't mind me asking all these questions. :)

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
Tooooo little ;-) 10-12 hrs or you'll get tantrums! Lol! ask me!

Oh, o.k. that is good to know. Yes last she was a little temperamental. So maybe that was why. I will need to put her to bed earlier then. I have to be up that early so that won't change. Thanks again, hope you all don't mind me asking all these questions. :)

Mind you asking asking all these question... This is what the forum is for. So people with all their knowledge on birds can help those of us who have very little knowledge or need help with certain tidbits about our birds. :D Ask away!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Do you get up that early to work? My birds are used to my schedule. They can sleep while im making money to keep everyone fed and happy. My birds are up calling for me first thing in the morning, but they take naps afterwards. I noticed that when I was home sick with the flu and lay on the couch all day. I sat there and observe them with their routine.

OP
M

Marlee99

Feb 13, 2011
I am off work till April 1st. But I would normally have to get up earlier than that! I normally get up to feed and play with the dogs..I guess now with Marlee to. :)

I work till about 2 everyday, so lot's of time to work with her before bedtime.

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Umbrella Too's are such cuddlebugs and I absolutely love them!! Welcome to a great community with great members :)

Most Reactions