Hello from IL

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
Hello everyone,

I have landed on this site many, many times in the past from a Google search and finally, I joined. :)

My DH and I have a Caique named Kiwi who is the love of our life (along with our grown children and granddaughter). Mr. Kiwi provides more entertainment than a TV could provide any day. We enjoy his rambunctious personally and his loving personality. He is still young; 5 months old and is smart as smart can be. He has responded to click training very well. We started training the day after he came home. Basically, training started out with just positive reinforcement of everything we liked that he did. We gradually moved on to positive reinforcement for getting parts of the Andy Griffith tune, playing his colored disc game, allowing us to put his harness on, and so on. So, I like any "mother" or we, like any parent, think our bird is "the best, smartest, cutest!" :) Just like our kids and granddaughter... they all, (feathered or not) are. Just ask us.

We have wanted a parrot for many years and for one reason or another (busy life, etc.) waited until recently to get Kiwi. For the last 2 years, I have read everything I could get my hands on, talked to parrot owners, and searched the internet endlessly for information on parrots of all sizes. I am glad I did; I really think it has made us into better parents. We decided to look for a Caique because of the endless energy. We LOVE it!

Soon, our flock will increase by 1 more. We are adopting our friend's GW Macaw. She is 3 - 4 years old and a sweetheart. Our friends are great people and know the bird wants/needs more attention since their kids have gone off to college. We are heading over to visit her on Sunday to watch them interact with her. I think it will provide opportunity to watch her body language, and pick up on likes/dislikes.

We are so excited for her to come home! After our visit on Sunday, we will then set up a time to move her. We all want her to transition as smoothly as possible. Her current mom, is writing a schedule up of what she likes, when. Words she says, games she likes to play, etc. Her current mom is having a hard time letting her go but, since she is a GREAT mom which only wants the best for her, she is.

We feel so fortunate to have this opportunity to love and care for another feathered friend!

I look forward to chatting with you all, and "foraging" through all the forums looking for other bits of info. :)

Cheers!

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Welcome to the forum :) and it looks like you're off to a great start and have done your homework - so I hope the transition for your new Macaw goes easily and well. Just be careful introducing your two birds together, and it might be prudent to follow quarantine procedures, and even a vet trip just to guarantee that you will not be bringing any illness (even as just a carrier rather than outright sick) into your home and exposing your Kiwi. It's always better to be safe rather than sorry. I'm sure other's will have some advice for you on this subject.

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
Welcome to the forum :) and it looks like you're off to a great start and have done your homework - so I hope the transition for your new Macaw goes easily and well. Just be careful introducing your two birds together, and it might be prudent to follow quarantine procedures, and even a vet trip just to guarantee that you will not be bringing any illness (even as just a carrier rather than outright sick) into your home and exposing your Kiwi. It's always better to be safe rather than sorry. I'm sure other's will have some advice for you on this subject.

Thanks for the welcome Gary. My plan is to let the two interact from within their (separate) cages. For a while, I would be a little nervous of letting them both out at the same time when I am home alone with them. After a week of alternated outings, provided all seems well, my DH and I will each take one and start sitting at opposite ends of the sectional couch, etc. and slowly move from there. Kind of makes me feel bad for Kiwi because the only time he has been in his cage is at bedtime, or when I have to run to the store, or know he would be unsupervised. :( Hopefully that doesn't devastate him. This was/is my plan because even though Kiwi is a little guy compared to a Macaw, he doesn't realize it!! I'm more afraid of what he might try to do. I may be looking at it completely wrong (maybe it's the other way around) but in any case, I want to be careful for both their safety. Does my plan sound like it is okay or is there something else I should consider?

Although our friends have all of her vet records and we know she is well taken care of, we planned on taking her to the vet for a check up (same vet BTW :) ). Now, since you mentioned this, my plan was to bring both birds at the same time... should I bring them separately? Although Kiwi was at the vets a few days after we brought him home, I want to just take him in to make sure his weight is still good and check to see if his beak or nails needed a little trimming. I was also considering micro-chipping him too - still undecided on that though.

What are your thoughts?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well you really are on the ball :) Your plan for introducing the birds to each other sounds good to me. I do understand about Kiwi being a little bird, but not knowing it, I have parrotlets and they are famous for that, tiny lil things who think they are grand Amazons. It's terrific that both you and your friend go to the same vet - so maybe even a phone call would suffice if the Macaw had been to the vet fairly recently. Honestly I'm not the best person to offer you advice on these issues because I have only small birds - but there are a lot of people on this forum who do have larger species that will, I'm sure, offer you some terrific advice.

I'm a HUGE fan of microchipping. It is one of those things you may never need, but it is a simple process, has become reasonably priced, and when you need it, is priceless. I would defintely do it if your birds are flighted and there is a chance of them getting outside or away from you. Any inconvenience of microchipping certainly pales in comparison to the trauma of being separated from your pets and vice versa.

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
When I brought Kiwi to the vet soon after we brought him home, I was all set to get the microchipping done until I read the precautionary statements. It went to state that bleeding and other things could happen. Well, I got nervous and decided not to do it in fear of something happening to him. I guess, looking at it in the perspective of him being separated from us... that would be unbearable!

We do and will continue to keep his wings clipped; he enjoyed sitting outside with me while I worked on the computer this past summer. I am one of those that finds every excuse to be outside and I want my bird with me. I think I'll just get it done; Freaky things happen... clipped wings or not.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. :)

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
Re: Maxie is Home

Maxie is a sweetheart! She came home on Christmas Eve and has been a loving joy ever since. :)
IMG_1321_zps2f162537.jpg

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
What a stunner! So glad things are working out well. Look forward to hearing more of Maxie and Kiwi's exploits and seeing photos.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow! Maxie is stunning! Just a riot of color! Any pics of Kiwi, too? And please continue to update on how the acclimation process goes between those two.

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
The two seem to be handling each others company very well. We don't let them close to each other but Kiwi wants to visit Maxie in the worst way. Since Maxie came to live with us, Kiwi has some new songs, peeps and tweets. It's almost like he is trying to "flirt" with her.

It's a true Zoo here now. :) Hindsight is 20/20 and my husband has always said I should have gone to school to be a zookeeper instead of going to nursing school, and I have to agree with him. Well, now I have my Zoo (2 birds & 2 dogs). The house is full of energy and excitement, and I am loving every minute of it! That is it for the zoo though... the rest of the zoo can be viewed in my back yard; wild birds, squirrels, bunnies, etc. :)

Here is a couple pictures of Kiwi enjoying his bath outside this past summer... He loves his baths or showers. "Demands" them every day so now that it's winter, he goes in the shower with us. He knows when one of us is getting ready to jump in and he starts whistling the Andy Griffith tune. When he gets in, he really belts out that tune in the shower. It's so cute!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Kiwi is beautiful as well! And her spunky personality seems to show even through pics! Nice.

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
Re: Advice Please

Thank you Anansi. :)

I have a question for everyone:

Maxie was lacking attention for a while, now she is out on her Java Tree a lot, and I interact with her as much as possible (quite a lot actually). But, when I walk by her and only speak to her, she screams as I continue on. I have no problem with providing her with attention but I do have stuff I need to get done throughout the day... dishes, laundry, cleaning, work, etc... What should I do? I ignore the screams and reward the "talking". I know she is only screaming because she wants more than what I can give her at that moment.. How would you handle this?

Also, little Miss Maxie loves to climb up on my shoulder from my arm. I am uncomfortable with this. We are new to each other and it makes me nervous. I can't or maybe I should say, I don't know how to stop her from this. I really don't think she has a mean bone in her body but I don't want to find out either.... How would you stop this? Am I being ridiculous? Having that big beak near my eye just doesn't settle so well with me. When she is up on my shoulder she also likes to play "peek a boo"and touches her beak on my cheek. Again, she is playing and having fun, I don't think she would do anything... it just makes me nervous! Her previous owners never let her on their shoulders but she insists on going on mine. :(

I would really appreciate your feedback. I love her to pieces and want us BOTH comfortable with each other.

Last edited:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I saw some instructions about that (not sure where, could have been on here?). The lady in the video said she only let her bird get about halfway up her forearm before getting him to do a step up. Just swap from side to side, making the bird do a step up before he gets far up your arm. I use it with my galah.

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
We need more training on the "step up command". Maxie isn't use to the request.. her previous owners just used to grab her feet with no problem. When she is on my shoulder, grabbing her feet isn't so easy for me and a little nerve wracking when she is headed up my shoulder. :( Once she is trained to the command/request, I can see where that would work. :) Any suggestions in the interim?

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
I saw some instructions about that (not sure where, could have been on here?). The lady in the video said she only let her bird get about halfway up her forearm before getting him to do a step up. Just swap from side to side, making the bird do a step up before he gets far up your arm. I use it with my galah.
I will try this even though she isn't use to the request though and see how it goes. Thank you!!

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014

That's what I do as well with larger birds, when handling them.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots

Thank you Anansi. :)

I have a question for everyone:

Maxie was lacking attention for a while, now she is out on her Java Tree a lot, and I interact with her as much as possible (quite a lot actually). But, when I walk by her and only speak to her, she screams as I continue on. I have no problem with providing her with attention but I do have stuff I need to get done throughout the day... dishes, laundry, cleaning, work, etc... What should I do? I ignore the screams and reward the "talking". I know she is only screaming because she wants more than what I can give her at that moment.. How would you handle this?

Hey, MissSissy. I think you're doing the exact right thing. Ignoring the screams and rewarding the more acceptable utterances is what I would do, too. I think it just takes time for them to make the association. Just stay consistent with it and she should come around.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots

Also, little Miss Maxie loves to climb up on my shoulder from my arm. I am uncomfortable with this. We are new to each other and it makes me nervous. I can't or maybe I should say, I don't know how to stop her from this. I really don't think she has a mean bone in her body but I don't want to find out either.... How would you stop this? Am I being ridiculous? Having that big beak near my eye just doesn't settle so well with me. When she is up on my shoulder she also likes to play "peek a boo"and touches her beak on my cheek. Again, she is playing and having fun, I don't think she would do anything... it just makes me nervous! Her previous owners never let her on their shoulders but she insists on going on mine. :(

I would really appreciate your feedback. I love her to pieces and want us BOTH comfortable with each other.

You are definitely NOT being ridiculous, IMHO. Parrots of that size are capable of causing severe facial damage and have been known to do so. (And I've seen Maxie's picture. That is a WHOLE LOT of beak!) There's a lot we can do to minimize these risks, like learning their body language, understanding each bird's particular quirks, and adjusting our own behaviors accordingly, but the fact is even the most wonderfully bonded companion parrot can still surprise you. Some even bite out of happy excitement, probably as much a surprise to them as to us.

The suggested step up and alternate method is very sound advice. I do the same with my eclectus, as I'm not comfortable with him being on my shoulder, either. I also try to make the angle of my arm leading up to my shoulder as inconvenient as possible the instant I see him heading that way. (Might be a little more difficult for you, since your macaw is a significantly larger bird, but worth a try.) I think it's always better to head off a behavior than to have to correct it after the fact. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. In the meantime, good luck.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I was trying to find the link to the video, couldn't find it but rewatched some other stuff. The suggestion in here at around 2mins might be worth trying. (use a rope perch so they can't run straight up your arm) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLv4l41wWM]Teaching Parrots to Step Up and Down - YouTube[/ame]

OP
M

MissSissy

Dec 20, 2013
IL
Parrots
Caique "Kiwi"
GW Macaw "Maxie"
Thank you all so much for your responses and information! I had a tearful "melt down" the other day thinking I had no business getting this big beautiful bird who just wants to be on me and I am scared of her being so close. Well, my DH and I packed her up and took her over to visit the breeder where we bought Kiwi. He watched me interact with Maxie and gave me some pointers. I also watched him interact with her. He worked with us for about 2 hours. He did say she is an absolutely beautiful bird and doesn't think I will have any issues with her. I just need to gain more confidence. :)

I am truly blessed to come to know this breeder; he has been working with/breeding birds for 40+ years and although Maxie didn't come from him, he is more than willing to help me! He is wonderful and I am now not as scared to stop her from trying to walk up my arm. He said the same exact thing you all said here... alternate her stepping up to my arms. Another thing he noted... when I have her step on my arm, I held it out and the first thing she would do would walk up it. He had me put her back on the perch and have her step up again, but then bring my arm immediately to my waist. It was more comfortable for both of us. When she would try to climb up the front of my shirt, he had me put my hand gently on her beak and then she would stop. She did get a little cranky a couple of times when I stopped her. But, she didn't get to go up to my shoulder. :) He said it will take practice and to work with her a lot.... both of us will then get more comfortable with each other.

He was impressed with her because she was lacking the attention and handling for a while that she didn't seem excited at all to what was going on around her. She was brought to a strange house, strange birds all around, and a stranger picking her up, etc... it didn't bother her a bit.

I am probably rambling on at this point! LOL I am just so relieved that I CAN do this!!! She is a joy and the thought of my fear of her running up my arm to my face was going to cause a roadblock in our bonding was making me feel as though I had no business adopting her and it was unfair to her.

Also, just a thought on Kiwi and her interacting.... although I am not ready to get them too close to each other at this point, it was a huge relief when she was at the breeders house and she perched with a few of his "personal" birds. She actually was trying to feed some of them. This happened at the end of our visit, he didn't just stick her up there with them. :)

Again, thank you all for your replies. It's nice to know others are so willing to help!! It means a great deal to me and Maxie... and Kiwi too - he doesn't like his Mum being bundle of nerves! :)

I will update on our (or should I say my) progress with handling her.

THANKS AGAIN - you all are fantastic!!!!

Most Reactions