Gluongirl

Sep 27, 2019
Las Vegas Nevada usa
Parrots
Double yellowhead amazon
Hi all!

I haven't belonged to a parrot forum for many years, but love reading about
birds and their people.
I kept parakeets growing up in my native country of Sweden. Bred some for 4H projects. As a newlywed in California, I saw my first cockatiel, and fell in love. Peanut, a plain gray hen was an amazing bird. She rode to work on my shoulder ( NOT RECOMMENDED when you have to stop and pay various Bay Area bridge tolls, but she became a toll plaza favorite.) Played on the pet shop cash register all day, and only later in life abandoned me for my husband. When he accidentally left the house with her on his shoulder and she flew off never to be seen again....Well, 36 years later, I still have the husband, but I'm forever heartbroken over that bird.

Next, I foolishly, and regrettably, purchased a wild caught Bluefront ( a year or so before imports were banned) who was way above my pay grade. We went to parrot camp, parrot Sunday school, parrot behaviorists. Oh, my parrot knew everything there is to know about Amazon behavior, the problem was that I didn't! But I was willing to learn. We made incremental progress. A family event in Sweden meant boarding for Frodo, and upon my return, I found he had become absolutely smitten with one of the bird store employees, who begged me to rehome him. Who was I to argue with an Amazon in love?

Lesson learned, I later jumped at the opportunity to temporarily care for
a Blue and Gold for 18 months. What an eye opener! I LOVED that Macaw, he was sweet and helpful, a true teacher.
His most important wisdom? He taught me that I was not ready to take a
parrot into my life, yet. I know many people successfully and properly care for parrots during the most hectic periods of their lives: rearing children, working full time away from home, etc etc. It was just a path I didn't
choose. Not because I felt less dedicated, but because I felt my dedication
would somehow fall short of my intent. One day....I promised myself, that Amazon would come along...

Fast forward to 2009. As a lifelong dog groomer, I finally opened my own shop here in Las Vegas. One ordinary day at work, with the dryers
booming, the dogs barking, the radio playing, the water spraying, the phone ringing....HOLD ON! This sounds just like a flock of wild Amazons in a thunder storm!!!! The excitement! The drama! The water!

Six months later I brought home Firefly, just weaned by a local breeder. Yes, I went the baby route, based on my previous experiences. Nine years later, I am soooo in love with the Double Yellow head of my dreams! She
comes to work with me five days a week, and hasn't called in sick once in almost a decade! She greets clients, then LOUDLY tells them BYE! GO HOME!
For anyone who sticks around, she puts on an endless one-parrot big-top extravaganza of song and sermon. She's earsplitting, and on occasion, skin splitting as well. She splits my skin when I deserve it. Not in the last few years, though, because she's taught me better. I'm still her student, and I suspect I will never actually graduate Double Yellow head school. That's fine by me, because I love reading her book of spells. The home work is endless, but the occasional shiny sticker she hands out makes my day.

In her pecking order, she sits atop my husband and children, a German Shepherd and five cats. Me? She'll lay in my palm, but she's not a shoulder bird.
She's taught me better.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks for a poignant and entertaining narrative of your bird experience. Amazons are enchanting, perpetual children, and keep us on our toes!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

I absolutely LOVE double yellow head amazons, but they universally hate me, and every serious bite I have ever gotten was from DHA's, and there have been many. Hope you can post some pics and videos of your baby, we cherish those.

OP
Gluongirl

Gluongirl

Sep 27, 2019
Las Vegas Nevada usa
Parrots
Double yellowhead amazon
Thank you for the kind words. I will get some pics up soon. Videos? I have some, but she's extremely camera shy when the video button is pushed. All her audio is basically "dark", she spies any attempt at filming from behind her tree trunk.

Also, almost all her clips include her lunchtime orders shouted at my son: "Mark, Mark, go in the car. Go get some Taco Bell..."

I'm too embarrassed to let a forum full of parrot people hear that so soon.....

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a great post! It's easy to see you are a true and dedicated parrot freind. Your posts are going to be very entertaining! Firefly sounds like Bigfoot in ability to detect camera equipment,!
I'm a quaker girl, I get them, but I'm a student of my GCC.

Most Reactions