Hello from Oscar!

peachykeen

Jul 16, 2017
Jersey City, NJ
Parrots
Oscar - Peach Fronted Conure (F)
Meet Jack & Oscar!

I'm Jack, I just adopted a Peach Fronted Conure named Oscar. We're both women despite our misleading names :)

She's either 14 or 19 (her paperwork says she was born in 98, but it also says she's 14 years old, I'm not sure which to believe). She can say a surprisingly large amount of things, though of course usually she just swears at me.

Her foster parents said she's a picky eater and refuses to eat anything but her Roudybush pellets, which are at least better than seed. As soon as I got her home though I fed her a bit of mango and she seemed to like it.

I'm hoping that she'll molt soon because her last grooming left her with her flight feathers way too short, she drops like a rock if she tries to fly. Also, she seems cage aggressive - she will only leave her cage by climbing onto my shoulder, but once I manage to get her away from her cage she can be coaxed onto my hand. Of course, she'll keep trying to climb up my arm. Anyone have any tips for breaking her of this habit?

Oh, and of course, here's a pic - isn't she cute?
tumblr_ot3k0iRz6Z1r61k4so1_1280.jpg

OP
peachykeen

peachykeen

Jul 16, 2017
Jersey City, NJ
Parrots
Hello everyone! The other day I adopted an adorable Peach Fronted Conure named Oscar, a rambunctious old spinster. She has a surprisingly large vocabulary but usually she just yells "Screw you!"

She badly needs to molt and needs to be introduced to fresh fruits & veggies, and is cage aggressive, but for now I'm simply enamored with watching her sit in her cage.

Isn't she adorable?
tumblr_ot3k0iRz6Z1r61k4so1_1280.jpg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Actually wow, I love the orange on blue face. That is a very beautiful bird!

OP
peachykeen

peachykeen

Jul 16, 2017
Jersey City, NJ
Parrots
Isn't she gorgeous? I didn't know peach fronts existed until I saw her on the rescue agency's website and fell in love :p

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Re: Meet Jack & Oscar!

Welcome Jack and Oscar! Oscar is too cute for words, I love her colorful crown. Thanks for adopting this pretty little lady!

As for the cage aggression and general nippiness, Oscar may just need some time to adjust, she's obviously pretty friendly, give her time to get comfortable and learn to trust you before you expect too much. Looking forward to sharing your journey, best of luck, Ladies!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Re: Meet Jack & Oscar!

Welcome ladies, thanks for joining!

Shoulder privileges ought be earned, though this seems the only effective way to egress her cage. As long as Oscar is not aggressive to your face or neck, this is just an inconvenience. Once properly acclimated, you may wish to have her on the shoulder provided she is no threat.

Most Reactions