Hello from Portsmouth, UK (GCC)

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Ahoy there. ^^

My wife and bought a GCC yesterday, although you'd think he'd been here for years; he's 10 weeks old, and ridiculously tame. Unfortunately his cage supplier failed us on the day, so we've had to order from elsewhere, and bought a temporary cage until it arrives.

A couple of questions if I may:

1) He's a bit nippy sometimes, so we're just taking our fingers/hands away from him when that happens. As far as I've read, that's the right thing to do, but it never hurts to ask.

2) When we aren't in the room, he's a bit vocal - especially when he can hear us; he's silent when we are there. I assume the best thing to do is ignore him, and if I want to take him out, wait until he's been quiet for a while? That way, he shouldn't associate screaming with attention.

Anyhow, a picture of Aizen!

aizen.jpg
aizen.jpg

edit: Hum, the image won't stay in the post!
aizen.jpg

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome to the Forum :)

Congrats on your new addition... You have only had him a day, so he is probably still overwhelmed by his new surroundings.. He is also still a Baby, which is probably why he is a bit vocal when you leave the room!

Are you still giving him Formula? Is he eating by himself yet? As he is still so young just mash everything up for him or cut into tiny pieces!

Good luck with him :)

Ps.. I am also in the UK :)

OP
Grenage

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Hey! :)

Oh he seems quite happy on regular food, and whatever I try and offer him; broccoli, carrots, grapes, et cetera! He's on a bag of 'conure mix' at the moment, which is what he has been given by the breeder. It's basically a mix of various seeds and grains.

Having read some posts here and there, pellets are supposed to be a lot better; I haven't been able to find any in shops, so I'll probably have to have a scout about online and order there.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Welcome to you and Aizen! A cousin of my mother's (now deceased) worked in the Portsmouth Post Office for many years, and lived in Southsea. Though I've never been there, I feel as if I know the area well, from his letters and photographs. :)

In answer to your second question, Aizen is flock-calling. He wants to know where you are and that you're safe. :D Ignoring his calls isn't likely to work; it's better to respond in some way. You can just whistle or make a clicking sound, or answer his calls by saying something like "I'm here." That will be reassuring to him, and in time, he may substitute the sound or words you use for his squawks.

OP
Grenage

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
The main Portsmouth Post Office is a carnage zone, so she has my respect for dealing with the many people there.

Ah thank you for the tip! We had the new neighbours round for a BBQ, and apparently they can't hear him, so we're not really bothered if he never shuts up. I'll try talking to him when he's chatty and see what happens. :)

Most Reactions