Hello from "Quagmire the Cockatiel"

bcfcciderhead

Aug 6, 2016
South Wales UK
Hi guys,
I have had my Cockatiel for a week now (he's 11weeks old when I got him, so 12 now lol).
I think he has settled in very well in the 7 days he's been here,
Starting to come to me when I go to his cage, when I go to get him out he will sometimes hiss at me but soon gives up and will climb on my finger, every time him does hiss at me I tell him "No" in a stern voice and he soon stops.
He has free flight of the living room when im in watching TV, so he has a few hours of exploring, he has his favourite shelf high near the ceiling which he sits and cherps at me, getting him in can sometimes be fun but he is getting better.

Ok a few questions, The bottom of the cage came with a plastic tray and the options to put a mesh top on, I have chosen to just leave the tray in on its own as he likes to walk around the bottom.....is this ok or should I put the mesh in?
Also should I put anything on the tray? those grit sheets?

I also can't get him to eat anything else but seed, (and Cuttlefish) I have offered him lots of different fruit but he don't seem to touch it, same with some veg, so he's on a diet of seed at the moment.

Any other tips you can give me with his training etc will be great

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
As the famous quote goes from the movie "Casabanca"...
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
(you and your bird)

I don't think mesh or no mesh is a big issue...

Food? Here is what my avian vet told me 30 years ago. Put the good food (pellets, please... any national brand, but Harrison's is the best, I do believe... you can order online) out all day. Put the seeds in twice a day for 15-20 minutes. That will sustain him but still keep him hungry enough to try pellets etc. That converted my bird in 2-3 days.

Other than that, stay tuned here. Lots of cockatiel brainiacs who can advise you better than I.

Welcome!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, glad you joined!

It seems Quagmire is settling in nicely, but it takes longer than a week to feel completely adjusted. IMHO you are still in the "honeymoon" period before all is stable.

I'll let experienced cockatiel owners share more, but in general the conversion from a seed to healthier diet takes time and lots of support. Basically, you have to give encouragement by restricting seeds a portion of the day in favor of healthier fresh veggies, fruits, and pellets if desired. In other words, if you leave the seed dish and simply offer different, Quagmire will likely gravitate to the former. Note I am not suggesting withholding seeds to create desperation through hunger. Just a few hours to start with options immediately available.

As far as the "mesh" or "grate" is concerned, I prefer to leave it as a barrier from the droppings. If you change the paper several times daily, it would not be a problem to avoid the barrier.

OP
bcfcciderhead

bcfcciderhead

Aug 6, 2016
South Wales UK
Thanks for the replys, I understand it will take more time and I'm happy with the progress so far and he's becoming quite a character

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to you and Quagmire! That is a great name:)
I'm so happy you joined us:)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and a warm welcome to you and Quagmire. Looking forward to hearing more about your new companion.

Most Reactions

Latest posts