Hello :)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello,
I am new to the parrot forum and just looking for ideas from other parrot people :D
I live in australia recently my blue quaker passed away, but after a few months i have decided to get a new friend!
In 4 weeks i will be getting a blue and gold macaw, his name is Fargo :p
So now its time to start redecorating my room with a bigger cage and toys!
I have visited the macaw breeder twice and going again in a week to visit my little man, who is now 6 months old.
He was a bit cheekier than a few of the other ones, but i like bigger personalities!
I am at home 24/7 so definitely have the extra time to put into him as the owner said he would take a bit longer to tame down but he said i have the dedication, as by the end of our visit i had him sitting nicely eating a nut ! :)

Just wondering if anyone has advice on what toys they like the best?

I have brought him a big corner cage with the dimensions 185cm(H)x155cm (W) x123cm(D).

I also thought of getting a cargo net, but they are very expensive for what they are! Does anyone know how to make them or what type of rope it is? :)

Also, i know macaws can bite hard! my mum is scared he will bite my finger off haha my quaker would bite when i first got him and he was also not very tame,,, but i would just say No, and place him down if he tried to bite and he learnt very quickly not to bite.

Does this method work the same on macaws, if not, what method did your macaw work best to?

Another question! I never harness trained my quaker, but i thought it would be a good idea to teach Fargo so then he can go outside and fly.

Apparently he is a bit scared of the harness at the moment, so do you think in time he will get use to it?

:blue1:

Thank you :)

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your Quaker. Fargo is such a unique name, I love it!
I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer some.

My Green cheek conures were afraid of the harnesses, (they're actually flight suits) but they got used to them. Now, they play with it and throw it around. But I still have to figure out a way to get them on. But if you were able to train your quaker, you can train your B&G the same way, I guess.

Also, here is a couple of links on how to make a cargo net. But since it for a blue and gold macaw, I would make it bigger. =)
CPTT...lotsa knots
CPTT...lotsa knots
CPTT...lotsa knots
(The links look all the same, but they're all different links.)

Hope you find lots of good info on this forum. =)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Congrats on your new macaw, bet you can't wait to bring him home! I can't answer your questions but I am sure some macaw owners will be here to help soon! :D I look forward to seeing pics, LOVE macaws! <3

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
fargo.jpg

i am not sure if i have attached the picture right :( haha
if you can see it, then thats him on the right, and a baby girl on the left :)

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Hey your welcome. :) wow Fargo is such a cute baby !!!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
IMG_2181.jpg
haha He is a cutie! :)

its so good talking to other parrot people.. all my friends dont really like parrots :mad:

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
AWW he's such a cutie!!!!! Thanks for the pics! :D Don't worry we LOVE bird talk haha, my friends get tired of my birdy pics so I put them on here instead! :p

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
hahaha I put pics up on fb of him and I was like guys isn't he cute! and they are like yehh I guess -.-

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
thank youu :)
i think he is about 900 grams at the moment, so still a tiny bit more growing to do :)

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Brilliant I'd say he is dead on track with his weight and is going to be a very big boy I get my blue front in a little than 3 weeks and he is weighing about 450g now and he is 9 weeks which is a very good weight

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
I'll be uploading pictures when I get him home in 3 weeks how name is jinx he hatched on the 12.06.2012 if you go into the amazon section there is a thread named jinx and his brother jinx is the one with the most blue on his head

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Not really I just heard that the females tend to bond more with male owners than the males do but after seeing male amazons with male owners I figured that it isn't completely true I am happy that he is a boy the sex of a bird to me dosent matter I think the relationship you have with your bird depends on how much time you spend with it

Most Reactions