Hello...

Cashmeer

Feb 17, 2008
I m so glad that these forums exist!! Two years ago I agreed to "babysit" my daughters senegal...I'm still "babysitting"....I knew nothing about birds of any kind...unless I counted chickens...so I started from scratch! I think alot of people buy a parrot..because they think they re soooo cute...! They need to realize how much work they are...I order the food from Beak Appetite and mix it with Harrisons...but this is the main reason I joined this forum...I live near Des Moines,Iowa...there is a small pet store that I use for buying my cat food...the other day I was in the store...and there was a small cage with a parrot in it...I m not sure what kind of parrot it was...but it was to big for that tiny cage...it had a small dish with filthy water in it...and I have no clue what they were feeding it..looked like seeds of some kind...it was standing on the floor of the cage...it didnt have any toys!! I asked the clerk some pointed questions...and she simply said "That Bird is Just Fine"!!! I said its obvious to me that you have no clue about taking care of a parrot (it was the only bird in the store)....here it is 3 days later..and I m still so sad about that parrot.....is there any advice someone might give me??

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Welcome to the forum! Can you get a picture of the bird you are worried about? I'm sure we can help you identify and learn about him. I know how you feel about going into a pet shop and seeing a bird in a completely innapropriate cage on a bad diet etc... Its hard to do a whole lot unless you are able to buy the bird. If I bought every bird I ever felt bad for I would be in debt the rest of my life.

MetroidGirl

Feb 11, 2008
Media
houston!
Parrots
Male Eclectus: Flanagan
thats how my Arcee was found. the lady who bought her that i got her from found her on the floor in a small cage, her nails had been cut too short and she was bleeding and had cockroaches crawling on her. ( no joke, its amazing how people can sleep and night knowing they let that sort of thing happen to animals in their care!)
she didnt know anything about birds and bought her on a whim, she figured she could at least to better than the pet store.

i'm glad though, cuz now i have the sweetest bird.

its sad, but it seems a lot of times pet stores are okay with this happening, so long as they can get a few bucks.

have you tried putting an ad out on craigslist or something? maybe let some bird people in your area know about the bird, see if someone can buy her.

its not the most favorable situation, but at least she'd have a chance at being a bit happier.

OP
C

Cashmeer

Feb 17, 2008
The bird is either a quaker or meyers....mine is a senegal...this one has alot of light blue color and the tail feathers are alot longer than my sennie.....I just discovered a parrot rescue league in Iowa....and I m going to contact them.....the bird at the pet store was found on a golf course in Des Moines...a guy was walking along and it just jumped on his shoulder....and he took it to this pet store...thanks for replying so fast....

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
No problem. I'm glad you found a rescue, but you may find that theres not much they can do as long as the bird has fresh food and water. If the tailfeathers are a good bit longer than your senegal then it probably is a quaker. A meyers would be the exact same shape as your senegal, just different colors. The face of a meyers is dark grey often with some bright yellow on the forehead. You can probably find a picture of a meyers in the piocephalus section on the thread "species identification information".

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Try taking pictures of the condition that this bird is kept in. Contact your local humaine society. I hate these pet stores having birds and other animals. I know from working at one these animals do not receive proper care, even when they tell you otherwise. :mad:

Most Reactions

Latest posts