Hello!

BubblesGoPop

Nov 22, 2009
Hello, everyone!

I'm new here, and new to birds in general. I do not own a parrot, but I am very interested in adding one to my family.

I'm a firm believer in research. If I buy a parrot, I want it to be the right breed. I also want to know everything there is to know so that I can care for it properly. I've discovered that forums are great sources of information! So here I am :)

I'm still unsure which type of parrot (if any) is best for me. I would love it if you guys would give suggestions on which types of birds are best for beginners.

I look forward to floating around the forums and getting to know everyone better!

miamore

Nov 18, 2009
let me be the first to welcome you. i think the best bird for a beginner is a cockatiel or a budgie(parakeet). cockatiels are very good birds. i got my first one when i was like 6 years old. :yellow1:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome
You have come to the right place....
Everyone is always so willing to assist
Sure you will find great replies
Taker care

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'd agree with Miamore that cockatiels and budgies are both great for first time bird owners, however there are certainly other options.

Let us know what you hope to get out of a relationship with a feathered master (yes that's the way it works) as well as what you can and cannot devote to the relationship, and we'll be able to make better suggestions.

norenekay

Nov 28, 2009
Media
California
Parrots
Corky, 15 yo Congo African Grey Male
Hi, glad to see you researching first. It's a big commitment for the "big guys" like African Greys, Cockatoos, etc. They live 50-75 years and will outlive us or our ability to care for them in our senior years. What is your family? husband, parents, children? Some of the parrots are one person birds and if you want it to be for the family you need to consider that. Small cockatoos seem to be a good family bird, they seem to like everyone. But, all need to use the same basic care when handling them. Check out the Companion Parrot magazine (see "Links" for the address) Sally Blanchard was and is my preferred expert. Lot's of good info and her articles are online too. No need to subscribe although I enjoyed those magazines immensely when I started out with my grey. Good luck.

Most Reactions