Hello !

Rhaegal

Jun 10, 2015
Hi First of all I just purchased a Mustache Parakeet about 2 sundays ago. So it should be 5-6 weeks old at the moment. This will be my first time owning a bird. So any advice as a new bird owner would be nice! I wont be able to pick my bird up for a few weeks. So I have lots of time to learn and do my research which i've been doing for the last week. Very interesting breed !

I'll pretty much be with my bird most of the days taking him to work which ill have time to play with in between time and back home.

opinions on wing clipped?
Interacting
teaching tricks
bonding
treats
food
etc

thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 86

Xraysrrad

May 31, 2015
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
Crimson-Bellied Conure - Bodhi - Ramsey- Labradoodle
Awwww, such a precious baby! Congratulations!

I am a new bird owner myself. Brought my conure home May 21st. Far from an expert, but more than willing to share my experiences! My baby's wings were clipped when I got him, so it was not my decision. However, I guess it was a good idea, seeing that I was new to the experience.

I have been working with him on flying to me to on cue (short distances). My thinking is that when his wings grow back and he flies up somewhere high, I have laid the groundwork for him flying down to me when asked.

Lots of luck to you and your new baby!
Robin

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hi Welcome, you sure have a cute lil baby there. I bet your super excited waiting for him/her to come home.

Wing Clip: Clipping the wings can be a hot topic. Each person has their own opinion as to the pros and cons to wing clipping. Personally they should be allowed to fledge, but usually it depends on the breeder. If you do not want them to clip him/her you should speak to them right away. If their home environment is a safe one (no predators, good supervision at all times) then I like to keep them unclipped.

Interaction/Bonding/Tricks: The first few days will be scary, but over time he will adjust to his new surroundings. Keep perches low and food and water close. Monitor him to make sure he is eating and drinking. I aways give "Millet sprigs" but only during times when they are stressed out, or under the weather. So coming home for the first time is a good time to offer it. Its a comfort food, and they love it. And you can break off pieces and put it in his food bowl too. Making it easier to find the food. When I first got Kiwi she didn't drink anything for 24 hrs. and I had to give her water from my finger, then from a spoon to stimulate her to drink. Interact with him everyday. The more you interact with him the quicker he will bond. But keep the sessions short, like teaching him to step up or taking food from his hands. or his he is perched on your finger, just sit and talk to him. Move slowly. If he is a cooperative bird you can harness train him easier at this age. Thats if you plan on having him hang out with you outside the home, even if he his clipped.

If you can get him used to a play stand right away... I have a tree stand that I use, Kiwi who is out most of the day, hangs out on it. I keep her entertained with shreadable toys and things she likes to play with.

Food/Water: Fresh food and water everyday, and depending on the birds habits maybe even water twice a day. A good pellet is always key, I use, and prefer Goldenfeast products, I love all what they offer. Kiwi gets their Australian blend, as well as Goldn'olbes II made for birds her size. There are others out there like Harrison's, Roudybush etc. She also gets Volkmans 15 min soak and serve, about 2-3 times week, along with fresh fruit, seeds, nuts, beans, veggies (kale, spinach, romaine) for example everyday.

I hope some of this information help. Great success with your lil guy, can't wait to hear more about him/her.

Last edited:

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Hello and welcome. What a cutie!! A quick search around the forum and you should be well on your way to learning all you need to know! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts