Help! A MOUSE!! What do I do??

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
There is *nothing* quite like the sensation of five mouse babies licking peanut butter off the tips of one's fingers. I miss my mice. They were the funniest, cleverest, most engaging pets I've ever had.

PS. The sensation of two big green birdies licking peanut butter off my fingers is almost as nice, but not quite... :) (Rosetta hasn't learned to lick yet: she just goes <<CHOMP>> to the great cost of my fingers).

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
We had mice a few years ago, we tried the catch and release traps, but they didn't work so we used the Tom and Jerry ones. They killed about 8 and we blocked the holes they could have been using and they haven't come back. It is unpleasant, but they are definitely very very quick and very very deadly. We never had one trigger and not catch the mouse so we weren't just injuring them and letting them die in pain. I would never use poison in my home.

I would suggest you use the same, I wouldn't put them in your birds cages, but near them and make them more appealing than the cages. We baited with peanut butter also. Take them away when your bird is out to be safe, they'll mostly be out in the evening and night anyway when your bird is asleep.

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male
Might be the minority view here, but I do not tolerate feral rodents on my property, they have a kill on sight bounty, they carry diseases, destroy property and generally aggravate the ever loving crap out of me, I bait them into kill traps at first notice of arrival, hopefully (and thus far) it keeps them from breeding, once they get into your walls and breed, it gets infinitely more difficult to curb the infestation without extreme expense.

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Iā€™m new to the whole bird thing but what I have found works well in my home is to use steel wool to block the entrance the mice use to get inside. This can literally be the size of a dime, and soak cotton balls with peppermint essential oil and eave those scattered outside around your home. i will typically use something sturdy to hold it, like a rock on the very edge. I try to put 4-5 drops per cotton ball and refresh them once a week or so this time of year, through the winter. Rodents HATE the smell. Bonus, by putting the oil outside you donā€™t have to worry about bugs getting in as they also canā€™t stand peppermint or pets having an issue with the oil as long as they are supervised while outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Iā€™m new to the whole bird thing but what I have found works well in my home is to use steel wool to block the entrance the mice use to get inside. This can literally be the size of a dime, and soak cotton balls with peppermint essential oil and eave those scattered outside around your home. i will typically use something sturdy to hold it, like a rock on the very edge. I try to put 4-5 drops per cotton ball and refresh them once a week or so this time of year, through the winter. Rodents HATE the smell. Bonus, by putting the oil outside you donā€™t have to worry about bugs getting in as they also canā€™t stand peppermint or pets having an issue with the oil as long as they are supervised while outside.

oh on the outside-- smart! Inside would be a risk, but outside of the house that could be good/safe (at least for birds)

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet

oh on the outside-- smart! Inside would be a risk, but outside of the house that could be good/safe (at least for birds)

I try. We have 3 cats, 3 leopard geckos and like...20 hermit crabs. What is okay for one species is detrimental to the other so Iā€™ve learned a few tricks with that. Basically the concept is to make your warm home as unwelcoming as possible to rodents and bugs. Peppermint oil has them all covered. The steel wool is painful to chew through so that also helps.

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
Aspie_Aviphile,
While mouse pee might not harm floors I can tell you that it does a job on steel tools and woodworking equipment as it is very corrosive. And tearing into clothing for nesting material last year alone cost me over $300. The little b@$*@%#$ even ate a $40 bag of felt wads I left on my bench overnight.

If it would help, I'd pay my cats a bounty for every one they dispatched. :)

I don't think that would work in court as a justification for torturous methods of killing a feral cat, so it shouldn't work as a justification in court for torturous methods of killing any other clearly sentient species. Whether it does, I don't know, but it shouldn't.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wrap the legs of the cage with Gorilla tape, sticky side out. the mice will be stuck, but good!

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
So, long overdue for an update.

Some days after the last post to this thread I came home at night and, as usual, chose to not disturb my birdies with the bright overhead light. I always keep my walkways clear and, in retrospect, I'm sure I would have noticed anything in the middle of my floor. So, I walked through the somewhat dim room to reach my dimmable light. As I stepped backward from the switch and turned, I felt something Under. My. Foot.

Yes. That's right. It was a mousie. Just lying there. In the Middle of My Living Room.

So, retrospectively - he must have run behind my foot. NO i did not squish him, i think my foot rolled him over. Actually, after I exited the room -- umm, exited the house, in fact -- I kept peeping back through the window expecting him to have gotten up and disappeared. ((Which would have been ever so much Worse!! aaagh!!!)) However, he stayed put. Apparently he was killed by the rollover.

Anyway when I felt him under my foot - and hoped I had somehow just dropped maybe a glove - I looked back and saw him. And then hoped I was not frightening the Budgies and Sunny by jumping up and down screaming. Calmed myself for the birdies' sake, caught another glance of mousie, and found myself jumping up-n-down screaming again. After a few repetitions, realized the only solution was to exit the house.

Once outside I was able to calm down... somewhat. My landlord lives upstairs so I called & he happened to be on his way home. My firechief landlord had no problem at all scooping up mousie with a newsprint flyer. (Whilst I peeped thru the window awaiting the all-clear!)

So, that was mousie number One. He was definitely a full-size mouse. NOt the little baby that had snuck thru my budgies' bars.

So by this point I had given up on the CaptSure traps, due to No captures. I left them in place, but added the go-inside-and-be-killed, round D-Con traps. (Even though they make me nervous because a budgie could stick its head in there. Probably wouldn't, and still safer than a snap trap, but still make me nervous. (I'm thankful for the basket-over-trap suggestion; I now place dollar store plastic boxes over the round kill-traps whenever the budgies are out.)) I also found a product called "Mouse Magic" to repel mice. It's basically extra-large peppermint tea bags, with a pleasant & Not overly strong peppermint aroma. Not so dangerously strong as my peppermint oil! (Also, not so effective against mice who have already learned your warm house contains tasty birdfood.) I've placed these in every room, along with actual mint-tea bags near some openings.

Speaking of openings, there are one or two I've been able to seal, but in this older house sealing is mostly impossible. I got some steel wool... but a coworker mentioned flammability issues, for which I found some slight confirmation online. So I woN't put steel wool around the many baseboard heater openings, which are probably their main (but, not sole) access points.

About two days after the untimely death of mousie #1, I came home to my budgies sitting close together at the top of their cage, peering downward. Sunny greeted me right away, with an unusual greeting something like "EEP EEP EEP eeiiaaEEIIaa EEP EEP." (The EEPS are normal, tho she usually takes a few minutes to wake up, but the interjection was entirely new.) I looked all around and checked the round-kill-traps, but did not see anything. Sunny repeated her announcement a few times. I gave up & started to settle in.

Then I realized that although I could hear the budgies munching seed, I could clearly see, they weren't!!!!

(Turns out, Sunny's new greeting had been her imitation of my "oh look there's a mouse" call, aka me screaming like an idiot. She ditched the element of panic, but got the notes right.)

When I followed the budgies' line-of-sight, there was baby-mousie. Tucked up safely inside one of the Captsure Traps!

I had to call my landlord again. I had to put on big long-sleeve kitchen gloves, and had to ask him to place the trap inside a paper bag. I even had to ask him to place the folded-down bag onto my passenger seat for me! However, then I was (sorta) okay.

Mousie #2, aka baby-mousie, got re-homed by me to a field several miles away, over a river and halfway back to my workplace.

Mousie #3, a medium-size mousie, appeared in the same trap within another few days. (Maybe it was the very the next evening?) This time I didn't even remove my coat; I recognized the budgies' posture and Sunny's "Hey there's a mouse!!" greeting. Mousie #3 was re-homed to the same field, this time without my landlord's assistance. (Although, I probably could have carried Mousie more efficiently had my hands not been so determined to hold the paper bag further away than my arms could outstretch...)

Mousie #4 also appeared within another short period of time. However Mousie #4 waited till the middle of the night. I had taken melatonin that evening, unfortunately. I could hear him but it wasn't safe to drive. OR - I certainly COULD have safely driven mousie TO the field. I would've been wide awake!! However, the return trip, without awareness of Mouse!!!-In!!!-Car!!! to keep me alert, would have been unsafe.

So I resolved to sleep instead. After some hours dozing-&-awakening, repeatedly checking on him, I re-homed Mousie #4 a Different Field. Similar distance, totally different direction -- with a coffee shop on the way back.

So this was all a few weeks ago now. I had stopped using any liners in the cages since I first heard baby mousie in there. I'm cleaning birdies' cages multiple times per day, and vacuuming three to four times daily. (Got myself an easier-to-use stick vacuum for black Friday.) Food is out of the cages at night. (Well, mostly. Birds are not happy about that, so we've been negotiating.) I'm keeping the cages further from the window-curtains, and making sure any cage covers are far up from the floor. KNOCK ON WOOD, I have not seen signs of mice since the last re-home. Those four definitely account for each that I had sighted or suspected. I'm hoping without the lure of easy seeds, the "mouse magic" peppermint mouse repellent (plus the additional peppermint tea bags) might deter additional mice from entering. (And of course, I still have all the traps in place too.)

:orange::whiteblue::greenyellow:

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
Or maybe even might be more than one. Ughhh!!

I'm scared to put any kind of regular, deadly mouse trap. The day I realized I Might have a mouse, I went and bought some traps. When I got home and looked at them, I realized that Budgies are Not much bigger than mice. They Probably wouldn't go in a trap - but - WHAT IF??

So I ordered a couple "Capt Sure," non-kill, catch-and-release traps. The mice have NO interest in these traps, none.

Recently budgie Jefferson has been having night-terrors again. Night before last was really bad. After he awoke me with his panicked.flapping around in the cage, I had to sit up HOLDING him - (my normally "lookee-no-touchee budgie!) - holding him 45 minutes before he was willing to return to his cage.

That was night-before-last. LAST night I slept more lightly. Last night I awoke to the softer sound of one of them moving around the floor of the cage. Only, when I got up and checked, they were both on their perches at the top of their tall cage.!!

After some hunting and searching, I left the front cover more open, and went back to sleep. Some time later I awoke again to the same sounds. Without moving, flashlight showed Budgies still at top of cage whilst feet sounds below. !!!!!! :eek::eek::17::eek::eek: !!!!

Then, more flashlight actually revealed a tiny culprit sneaking out thru the bars ---uuhhhgghh ahhh---- please help what do I do??

HOW do I get rid of these critters withOUT endangering my Budgies or my Sunny? ??? HELP!!!

:17:

i know this maybe be stupid but what about get a cat for a few days?

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
i know this maybe be stupid but what about get a cat for a few days?

Hehe. I did consider that. When I first became indisputably aware of first mousie. I sat in horror thinking, ā€œIm gonna get a cat. No wait Iā€™m allergic. No, I donā€™t care. Breathing doesnā€™t matter. I donā€™t need to breathe, I need a cat. Asap! Iā€™ll borrow a cat. Cat will kill mice. Wait. Cats that kill mice also like to kill Birdies. No. Nononono. Canā€™t get a cat. Aaaiiihhhh!ā€

So anyways. I ruled out getting a cat. And as mentioned directly above ā€” knock on wood, cross my fingers, praypraypray!!! ā€” at the moment, with four accounted for, & observing strict anti-mouse protocols, I am not currently observing signs of further mice.

But--- thank you for the suggestion! :) :D :cool:

Most Reactions

Latest posts