Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Valerie, I am so sorry to hear about Cleo, and on top of that the inclement weather where you are preventing you from getting the help you need :(. I really hope that the home remedies work. Prayers and good vibes to you and little Cleo.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Yea I tried that too :( she is breathing heavy niw. Her feet are so numb she has no feeling she just cannot walk or grip anything. I have tried everything massaging heat warm water vitamins Gatorade olive oil you name it... She is struggling now and it hurts to watch bc this is exactly what I delt with 3 months ago with Tiki's death. And here I thought finding his baby sister was a miracle. Now I'm losing her too. She's breathing heavier and I finally broke down pretty bad.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Would the breeder you bought her from have any ideas?

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Unfortunately I don't have any advice but want you to know that you and Cleo are in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Several years ago, a friend was living in the Virgin Islands and her Hahns got an eye infection. There were only two vets on the island, both large animal vets, so I contacted a couple of vet schools looking for a veterinary opthamologist that might do long distance consultation & the vet school at LSU responded, although my friend got worried in the interim & found a Rastafarian witch doctor that was able to correct her bird's eye problem, but the point I'm trying to make is that given the circumstances, there are help sources available to you tomorrow.....

Cornell Univ. Animal Hospital; 607-253-3060 (the number is both for regular & emergency calls)

LSU Vet Med School, Prof. Avian Med., Dr. Tomas Tully; E-mail [email protected] or fax 225-578-9559 (the school now has a caveat on their website: Faculty cannot respond to emails regarding questions about veterinary patients or provide answers to unsolicited questions. Please contact your local veterinarian for information or call the Veterinary Teaching Hospital to arrange for an appointment.) don't know if my friend's Hahns caused that or not, but because of the blizzard conditions and a full explanation in a fax or E-mail would probably get you a response.....

Be careful with the Gatorade, it has a lot of salt in it.....

Good luck to Cleo.....

Last edited:
OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
The update is that she is now becoming unresponsive.... She can no longer walk and is feeling limp and heavy. She will no longer open her eyes....but she is breathing... I made her a warm bed. I made her a pillow and tucked her into a bunch of blankets and she looks like she is going to bed comfy.... She's still breathing but... Barely.... So she's tucked in bed for a good nights sleep, the eternal sleep it seems :( :'( I am heartbroken. First Tiki, now Cleo.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

I've been contacting him he told me that the state she is in it is killing her so the only way to relieve the pressure and pain is to try to break the egg, and I thoihjt about it but didn't want her to die in any more pain than she may already be in. She may survive if I do it but it may have repercussions obviously so it's like either way she is doomed...I tried massaging a little firmer but it didn't appear to do much. She's passing on now.....I can tell by her face... Tucked in bed and ready for..sleep.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment

I've been contacting him he told me that the state she is in it is killing her so the only way to relieve the pressure and pain is to try to break the egg, and I thoihjt about it but didn't want her to die in any more pain than she may already be in. She may survive if I do it but it may have repercussions obviously so it's like either way she is doomed...I tried massaging a little firmer but it didn't appear to do much. She's passing on now.....I can tell by her face... Tucked in bed and ready for..sleep.

I am so sorry....

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
OMG, I'm in tears... I've been praying all the time since I read your post in afternoon, but there should be more real help. Are ALL the animal ER clinics closed?! Is it THAT bad??? We've driven through really bad blizzards a few times, and it's possible - you only have to go very slow and very carefully.
It's excruciatingly heartbreaking that there is no any help in such a huge city!
Is she still alive? I only hope she gets through the night...

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
I am sorry to hear she is doing worse, it has to be VERY hard for you to watch and know there is nothing you can do and no vet to call. Thinking of you!!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Valerie, I'm so very sorry. My heart is breaking for you.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh no Valerie, I am so very sorry to hear this :(. My heart breaks for you and Cleo.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I'm so sorry. This is horrible.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Yea they are calling this a potentially historic blizzard bc we are getting like 3 feet. Everything is closed hours ago... She is tucked in a bed of blankets I made her a little nest and tucked her into bed... She's breathing but getting colder and stiffer, it's like Tiki all over again. I thought finding Cleo was a miracle I had his little sis and now I am losing her too, I have barely gotten over Tiki, and Cleo and I just started really bonding great. I have been sitting on the floor crying for hours, I am so drained

Most Reactions