Help finding new toys

itslizze91

Aug 15, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Leo has destroyed all of his toys and I need help finding new toys. Maybe foot toys Anybody have some recommendations?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Leo has destroyed all of his toys and I need help finding new toys. Maybe foot toys Anybody have some recommendations?
The best toys for conures are ones that he can destroy. I know that sounds expensive and it can be but bird toys don't need to be store bought and pretty! We all throw out so much scrap paper every day. Why not toss clean scraps into a bin and use them to make your own toys? Examine how a store bought bird safe shredding toy is put together, salvage all indestructible parts and those that are not too far gone and make new ones.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Amazon sells bird toy parts like colored wood blocks, sticks, chewable rattan balls, plastic rings, etc. use your discarded scrap paper to make paper strips and confetti with zig-zag scissors. Keep recycling parts until they are beyond repair. Your imagination is the limit.

Some birds like foot toys and some just drop them and forget them.

I had a cockatoo that loved playing with unopened tampons as foot toys (unscented plain) in the cardboard tube with paper wrapper. No it's not gross or obscene. She would tear off the paper, tear off the cardboard tube and then shred the tampon part with the string attached until it was a fluffball. She would then swing the fluffball around by the string. Sheer birdie joy! Throw it out when he's done and give him a new one. The best cheap bird toy! She also loved playing with hard plastic stick pens without the ink cartridge. You could string empty pen cartridges together to make a windchime type toy.

Always supervise your bird when he's playing with any new or homemade toys until you are sure they are safe. This may depend on your own birds' beak strength.

Small cardboard boxes make great chewing projects, too.

OP
itslizze91

itslizze91

Aug 15, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Amazon sells bird toy parts like colored wood blocks, sticks, chewable rattan balls, plastic rings, etc. use your discarded scrap paper to make paper strips and confetti with zig-zag scissors. Keep recycling parts until they are beyond repair. Your imagination is the limit.

Some birds like foot toys and some just drop them and forget them.

I had a cockatoo that loved playing with unopened tampons as foot toys (unscented plain) in the cardboard tube with paper wrapper. No it's not gross or obscene. She would tear off the paper, tear off the cardboard tube and then shred the tampon part with the string attached until it was a fluffball. She would then swing the fluffball around by the string. Sheer birdie joy! Throw it out when he's done and give him a new one. The best cheap bird toy! She also loved playing with hard plastic stick pens without the ink cartridge. You could string empty pen cartridges together to make a windchime type toy.

Always supervise your bird when he's playing with any new or homemade toys until you are sure they are safe. This may depend on your own birds' beak strength.

Small cardboard boxes make great chewing projects, too.
thank you so much!

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
Make toys. The best toys are by far the ones you create yourself specifically for your bird. There are hundreds on DIY bird toys on youtube, maybe check some of those out.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts