HELP! Food colouring from toys rubbed off on Berry’s feathers!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hi everyone,

My darling cockatiel has gotten into a pickle (although I guess it was my fault). She had a bath, and then the dye (food colouring) of one of her coloured toys rubbed off all over her feathers. I made this toy, and I did seal the colouring with rubbing alcohol. The toys have been on their gyms for weeks, and all the other colours haven’t run under water, so I have no idea why the red toys have done this. She has now gone from a cinnamon cockatiel to a scarlet breasted cockatiel!

I am thinking of wiping her with a damp cloth, but I am not sure if this will work. Shall I just leave her be and let her preen the feathers clean (if they can even get clean)? Or should I try to get the colour out? I know this is non-toxic and nothing to worry about, but I just want to help her get the colour out.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Several of my birds have worn food coloring costumes from time to time, I think the best option is to tell your red breasted cinnamon girl how pretty she is and let the color wear off.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Red has had a very bad reputation over the years and the manufacturers have worked to make it safer for Human use! The down side is that it now easily carries /transfers from one surface to another.

Rubbing it will only have it all over the place! Let time do its thing, as stated above. The combination of time and the next bath will continue to reduce the amount of Red on your Bird.

This is one of the reasons that Red is becoming less common.

FYI: "I did seal the colouring with rubbing alcohol" Rubbing Alcohol would cause the Red to be held on surface even more, as it does not truly seal the surface, more likely to open the surface-up and cause the colour to bleed even faster.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A fairly common problem with active birds! Several of my Goffins have been rendered bizarre mutations with various red, blue, and green streaks!

I just bathe them a bit more, and in the extreme cases the coloring remains until the feathers naturally fall off.

Most Reactions