HELP! I want to make things right w/ my 11 year old Amazon...

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
Don't get discouraged. It took me at least a year to get my 34 year old Amazon to move to a pelleted diet. He was born before pellets were around. My vet told me to crunch up puppy food and give it to him. I can't tell you how many pellets I threw away before he would eat one. Eventually, it worked. Keep trying and keep talking. Go up to his cage and whisper to him. Say anything that comes to mind, but keep it low and calm. He will become interested in hearing you and will move towards you to hear. Keep talking and giving treats. Over time, he will warm up to you. It is all about trust. He must trust you not to hurt him. Only then can you begin a relationship with him. Good luck.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
One way to make that cage a little more acceptable without having to buy a new one for the moment?

Get three pieces of plexy glass cut so you can slot them through the bars and cover them with a blanket of some sturdy material. This gives him two 'corners' to look out from or just put him against the wall with a blanket that covers about half the cage but not the top to make him feel more secure. The problem with round cages are that birds like corners OR places they feel they can hide.

You can also arrange toys... perches and otherwise so that he DOES have a place to hide near the top of the cage.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Don't get discouraged. It took me at least a year to get my 34 year old Amazon to move to a pelleted diet. He was born before pellets were around. My vet told me to crunch up puppy food and give it to him. I can't tell you how many pellets I threw away before he would eat one. Eventually, it worked. Keep trying and keep talking. Go up to his cage and whisper to him. Say anything that comes to mind, but keep it low and calm. He will become interested in hearing you and will move towards you to hear. Keep talking and giving treats. Over time, he will warm up to you. It is all about trust. He must trust you not to hurt him. Only then can you begin a relationship with him. Good luck.

Please do not provide any Pellet to a Parrot that is not specific for Parrots. Other Pellets are formulated with to high a level of Protein. This is especially dangerous for Amazons as they form fatty liver easily.

Non-Avian Vets understand that Pellets are a better diet than all sunflower diets, but are not aware that formulations is so very important!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well at this point he is probably cage bound, and doesn't know the basics anymore.

I would go back to the beginning. Basic step up, no bite, and touch training...

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just start over.

And amazons bounce back. Work with him. Give him attention. Get him on a schedule where he is outside the cage and handled. Get him used to a new routine, and he will follow it.

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
This was before pellets were widely available. He was an avian vet, and wanted a diet with more than just seed.

jm0

Aug 6, 2017
Denmark
Parrots
Tux (Blue Throated Parakeet) - 2 year.
@Natalia
I couldn't help to notice, that the perches in his cage are round dowel perches. These are not recommended, and it is widely agreed upon that they hurt a parrots feet in the long run, and can even lead to a special condition (forgot the name of it. help?). Though, adding a natural branch will at least offer him an alternative. Will be good to stretch his feet a little. Or in worst case scenario, his feet could be locked in a fixed position, unable to perch on different sized perches. He might have sitten on these perches for too long. 11 years is a long time. As soon as you're able to handle him, check his feet! Or try to see if you can notice anything unusual. Also has anyone mentioned seeing a vet? You should consider giving him a full health check, and explain the situation to the vet. It's not your fault! It's only brave of you, wanting to save this bird! If anyone should pay for the vet bills, it should be your father! Make him pay, and give him a lesson at the same time. Give him a chance to clear his karma, or go to heaven if you believe in that kind of stuff :)

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I got the Rickeybird in 1984. I was in college and then grad school, so I spent LOTS of time with him. Then it was time to go to work!
There were were years (about 25 of them) when 5-6 days a week, I was gone at 7:30-ish and back at 6-ish.
Some did and will consider me wrong and think I should have re-homed him.
Anyway, here is what I think made it work.
I moved and got new jobs maybe 5 times or so. BUT...
Every morning, he had at least ten minutes, and every evening, he had 20 or so. I have always kept him on a natural light schedule, in a separate room, so sometimes those times together were in the dark. During the day, he had a big window looking out on something interesting, a television on one of his favorite channels (Music channels, CNN - he loves talking heads), a biggg cage, lots of fun foods, and a few toys that I changed out regularly).
He KNEW he could count on those two crumby sessions a day. Somehow we both made it.
I'm now retired and times are pretty good again. But when I first retired, he was standoffish and aggressive, at times, and not nearly as affectionate and cuddly as he was 30 years ago. Of course, he became a rooster at about 4-5.
He is famous (infamous?) for his quirks, weirdness, and overall trouble-maker-ness. I take responsibility. Today he is flighted, fearless, spoiled, and adored. We worked it out. I spend most of the day with his bad self now, and I know we are back in love. I guess my point is... don't give up, do your best, and don't be unhappy with the results. Love your bird and yourself for what you are, separately and together.
Good luck to you.
P.S. I think you're brave and good for reaching out so honestly and openly.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Diet is such an easy thing to over-look! Near everyday, we see examples of wild Birds eating at feeders filled with near everything that is warned against from our Vets and members here on Parrot Forums!

Exactly. If you're flying 20 plus miles per day, and active, you don't get fatty liver disease from eating seed, and chances are you have to work all day just to fill your belly, and some days your belly doesn't get filled...

If the only exercise you get is a little bit of flapping while hanging upside down playing with a toy... Yeah... fatty liver is an issue.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Awww, show him so love and affection and look after him now and take baby steps like you would a new bird and start again. Ill have a look tomorrow because I got my parrot a lot of toys he doesn't like or are for a bigger bird which you can have for him, no charge if you want. Ill message you x

Most Reactions

Latest posts