Help identify gender

ambimeigh

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Can someone please help me identify the most likely gender of my 2 year 3 month old pearl cockatiel? Their name is Sunny! Sunny arrived at my home 2 days ago but the previous parent did not know the gender. I have a gray cockatiel, and his name is Petrie and he is very much a male. Their behavior is different, but I do not know if this is due to Sunny being in the new environment.

Attachments

• IMG_4812.jpeg
    IMG_4812.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4810.jpeg
    IMG_4810.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4783.jpeg
    IMG_4783.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4807.jpeg
    IMG_4807.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 16

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's always hard to tell it's sex at that age but if I had to guess I would say male.
Also any differences in your other birds behaviour would almost certainly be because of the new one. Give them time and hopefully they'll be friends

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Can someone please help me identify the most likely gender of my 2 year 3 month old pearl cockatiel? Their name is Sunny! Sunny arrived at my home 2 days ago but the previous parent did not know the gender. I have a gray cockatiel, and his name is Petrie and he is very much a male. Their behavior is different, but I do not know if this is due to Sunny being in the new environment.
Looks like male to me

OP
A

ambimeigh

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
I appreciate the help. I assumed that over 2 years old would have been easier to tell. Thank you so much

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
From what I know pearl males loose their "pearls" - so I'm a bit confused about their genders...

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
From what I know pearl males loose their "pearls" - so I'm a bit confused about their genders...
Sometimes they keep them. It's quite rare that they do, but not impossible.
Although a blood test would be most accurate to confirm its gender

Yanii

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Lucy - Female pied
Ricky - Male Pearl Pied
Looks like a cinnamon pearl female to me! Let us know when your DNA comes back!

Iā€™m also on the same boatā€¦ I have a DNA confirmed 3 1/2 month female gray pied and a 5 week old cinnamon pearl that I suspect is male but will be doing the DNA this week.

I can see differences in their faces and definitely in behaviors. Heā€™s already displayed head bobbing, strutting, tapping, and showing off. Something my female has never done!

Ricky on the left / Lucy on the right:

IMG_2932.jpeg
Ricky:
IMG_2909.jpeg

Lucy:
IMG_2856.jpeg

OP
A

ambimeigh

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
I will definitely update you on the the gender. Lucy and Ricky are so cute. Thank you for sharing!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
looks male

But google "Bird DNA testing florida" it's like 15 bucks for 100% certainty

OP
A

ambimeigh

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Sunny is a female! I just wanted to let everyone know. We got her DNA results from the Bird store she was originally purchased from by the previous owner.
She is so sweet and perfect! I appreciate all the help.

Yanii

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Lucy - Female pied
Ricky - Male Pearl Pied
Sunny is a female! I just wanted to let everyone know. We got her DNA results from the Bird store she was originally purchased from by the previous owner.
She is so sweet and perfect! I appreciate all the help.
Oh congrats! I knew it! I just mailed out my Rickyā€™s DNA sample today so I should know sometime this week!

OP
A

ambimeigh

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Good luck! It does sound like heā€™s a male. What you described is exactly how my male Petrie is.

Yanii

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Lucy - Female pied
Ricky - Male Pearl Pied
Oh my goodness! She will still be so much fun!
Yes sheā€™s the best! But I already have another female (Lucy) šŸ˜‚ I was really hoping for a boy! Guess Iā€™m off to find a boy tomorrow for my final attempt lol

OP
A

ambimeigh

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Yes sheā€™s the best! But I already have another female (Lucy) šŸ˜‚ I was really hoping for a boy! Guess Iā€™m off to find a boy tomorrow for my final attempt lol
I hope you are able to get your boy. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts