HELP! macaw being overly aggressive

xoauderiiox

Nov 8, 2013
pa
Parrots
Tookie the scarlet macaw!
My new macaw tookie started out great with my and my boyfriend and I even thought she bonded with him really well. Whenever she sees him she gets all excited and wants his attention and doesn't care about mine, BUT NOW.. she realized she can fly (never flew before) and will fly to his shoulder or back when he bends down and attacks him. I mean really gets him good. I have no clue why she's doing this and no clue why she's not attacking me. help? anyone?:confused::(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You've only had your bird for a few days. MUCH too soon for her to really bond with either of you. She is still settling in, and she is certainly already testing her limits.

Do you give her boundaries? Do you reinforce good behavior?

Tookie couldn't care less who cleans her cage and feeds her. She is a young Scarlet, and full of herself, additionally she is in a new environment now, and probably still very confused.

She has NO clue what is expected of her, and it will be up to you and your BF to let her know.

Patience, patience, and more patience.

Having a macaw is like living with a 4 year old child. They will continuously test you to see what they can get away with. A firm but loving and gentle hand is required, and CONSISTENT training.

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
I didn't take my new Grey out of his cage for the first week. I just talked to him and gave him treats. It sounds like you are moving too fast with him.

Back up. Wait for him to settle in his cage and environment before you touch him.

Most Reactions