Help me get it right?

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
So, getting my very first bird today, a 3 month old male cockatiel and, even thought I did several hours of research, I still have a few questions that weren't answered to my satisfaction so here goes =P

- This will be a 30 minutes drive for him. What would ideal condition for his moving?

- How many toys? I read something like 3-5 in rotation every week, with many different shape and colors (really want to get him a mirror too), is this accurate?

- Diet? I read about pellets, seeds, vegies and fruits, but I'm still confused about the quantity they need of each

- How to introduce him to the new home? I read someplace to leave him alone in the cage for 3 days, speaking softly to him/singing and just putting your hand in the cage a few times a day or NOT putting him in the cage when you get home and socializing instead (not in view of the cage) so he'll associate the 'outside' of the cage as safe too.

- Safety measures? Any Dos and Donts?

Most likely more to come as we go and learn :grey:

AngelicaandBandit

Apr 25, 2013
For the journey, what I did when I brought my cockatiel home was I had a small age for him with perch and a dish of water and bit of seeds. i covered the cage with a light cloth so he wouldn't be too freaked. You could leave one side uncovered.

You've got the toys correct, alternating every now and then...

As for food, honestly it depends on how much the bird eats. I give my cockatoo two table spoons of pellets in the morning and a dish of fresh vegetables in the evening. My cockatiel ate one tablespoon of pellets in the morning and a dish of vegetables in the evening. You could start with two tablespoons and if there are left over narrow it down. You should check the weight of your cockatiel constantly on scales so you know if its underfed or overfed.

What I did was leave him alone for 3 days straight to adjust to the new environment. Then I began to sing and talk softly to him, read to him, feed him millet from the bars, eat in front of him etc in a week he began to show signs of wanting to come out and I let him out and e hopped onto my finger straight away. So just leave him for the first few days to adjust.

AngelicaandBandit

Apr 25, 2013
Safety measures:

-Make sure you have blinds on your windows so he doesnt fly into the clear glass
-If you have any house plants make sure that they are not toxic
-Make sure all your wires are in tubes or where he cant get to them
-Make sure you dont use non stick pans as they give off teflon
-No air fresheners!
-I recommend you have covers over your power points if you tiel is a chewer
-Make sure your curtain railings dont have lead or zinc otherwise if your tiel chews them will get heavy metal poisoning
-LOVE HIM :D
If I forgot something Im sure someone will mention it.

Relax, just the fact that you are asking advice and took the initiative to join a forum for the wellbeing of your tiel tells me that you are going to be an incredible parront! And be ready to have your hands full because Cockatiels are little birds with big cheeky personalities and big hearts :)

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Thank you very much for your replies =) Just sent a message to the vet to see if it would be possible to get an appointment for little Oz. I want to make sure he's not hiding any illness from me.

He's just started to move around the cage, pigging out on millet that will be removed from the cage soon (I just thought a little threat could help him along in the transition or is this going to encourage bad behaviors?) and he started playing a little with the toys. He seems to enjoy sleeping on the swing and playing on the rope perch.

And he's gorgeous *.* So, so gorgeous.

Also, the lady who sold him to me seems to have had him on a mostly/all seeds diet, if I wish to add pellets to the mix, what would be the best way of introducing them? Once he's gotten used to his new home, I'll start experimenting with the fruit and vegies =)

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
One more thing, he seems to want outta his cage. He sits in front of the door and chirps, and when I opened it to change the water because millet fell in, he flew right out xD

So question is, if he wants to come out,should I let him and try to socialize with him already, or should I still give him his few days period and not take him out when he demands it to avoid him developing bad behavior?

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Tonks (Cockatiel), Sid, Johnny, Aussie (Lovebirds), Punky (Galah)
If he wants to come out and interact with you then go ahead! Just don't force him to do anything :)

With the pellets just start adding some to his seed dish, it'll probably be a while before he really accepts them, just keep trying until he does... There are a few threads in the diet section about transitioning to pellets if you want more ideas :) cockatiels need less pellets than some of the bigger parrots, I give 60% seed 40% pellets... (plus lots of fresh foods, but you're right to give it a few days before trying. He'll be a lot more likely to try new foods from you after he trusts you ;) )

Congrats on your new 'tiel!

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Thank you! Come out and interact he did! I just posted another thread with pics of him X3 He's adorable, I'm in love. Baby's sleeping on the perch atop the cage right now.

Most Reactions