help me please!!!!

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
One male blue & gold macaw, 13 years old named Angel! <3
I am home alone, I have a 13 year old male blue and gold macaw. He fell to the bottom of his cage approx a half hour ago. I ran over and immediately noticed red swollen blotches on the white of his face. He was on his back, feet in the air and they weregrasping frantically nothing. Opening and closing repeatedly. His jaw was rubbing up and down back and forth repeatedly. I leaned my entire body in the cage and he didn't even look at me continued this shaking frantic grasping, gnawing.I rubbed his under belly and still nothing, I grabbed him up and put him on my lap, still no change. He didn't even know I was there, I was panicking and rocking him back and forth and screaming his name while calling my parents for help. I have no vehicle and they are two hours away coming home now. After a minute or two of this he stopped clasping and gnawing and his pupils started moving. He then looking up at me with one eye, flipped himself over and ran down my legs. He trusted his top beak out extremely far and stayed in that position until I moved. Then he started growling a little ( like my dog ) and he seems okay now. I gave him water. He is on the perch I'm terrified what happened?

OP
A

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
I also have no clue what I am doing in the forum idk how to get the responses. I'm just not sure. I need help. And I went on a site to ask a vet and they wanted credit cards. I'm afraid..

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds to me like he had some sort of a seizure... But this is something that requires a qualified avian vet, not something anyone can diagnose over the internet.

OP
A

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
Thank you. I just figured this would be the second best place to come since I can't go anywhere yet, and I don't have credit cards to ask vets on the internet. I'm grateful for your response though. And I was thinking perhaps this may have happened to someone else. I will be going to the animal Hosp. When my parents get home.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I wonder if he was in shock after the fall...maybe had the breath knocked out of him?
I am so glad he is doing a little better, but when your parents get home hofefully they can take him to a vet to get checked out.
Do you go by Amanda?
You are doing a good job in taking care of him. Please post again if you want to talk while you're waiting for your parents to get home. I am so sorry you are going through this.

OP
A

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
Yes my name is Amanda. I put my middle name cause Amanda is someone else's user name. I am really scared. I'm grateful for the responses. I felt like he couldnt breathe because of the sounds he was making. I thought he was choking at first, and I didn't want him on his back but I was scared he was going to bite me if he woke up scared enough. I'm just not sure what really happened....I was just thinking so many people on here have these birds it might have happened to someone else. It really scared me and my dad said he is almost home.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Amanda, thank goodness he is almost there. How is your macaw doing now? What is his name?
You did the right things with him, including coming on here for support while waiting for your family. I'm really glad you did:)
Please let us know what happens with him!

OP
A

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
My birds name is Angel. He is on my leg right now, I'm playing his favorite songs on the tablet while I type. Boyyyy does he LOVE Sarah McLaughlin arms of an angel. So I have her and alanis morrisette playing, and he is talking and seems a little shaky but is not anywhere near as terrifying as he was a little while ago. But my mom actually got home first and we are about to take him now. I'm very thankful for you being so kind, I didn't expect a vet to answer me, just some knowledgeable bird owners. I'm grateful for your kindness and your support I'll come post again when we get home. I see a lot of other things I would like to read. Once I figure this forum out lol. Terry? Is your name? Thank you so very much!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Yes, I am Terry and you are very welcome. Hoping everything goes good at the vet & that Angel will be fine:) Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back!

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Hi Amanda, I am so glad you are able to get Angel to the vet. I can't imagine how scary that must have been - for both of you. I will be sending you lots of good thoughts.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
sometimes it takes a bit to get responses on here Amanda, I know how frustrating it can get when you get no responses during an emergency.

like birdman said it sounded like a seizure of some sort. it must have been terrifying for you!!

I had a similar incident just a few months ago when my cockatiel sponge flew into the patio door, he was stone cold, not moving just blinking. I held him and it was like he was there but not there, you know?.....so I sympathize with you.

I honestly think a avian vet is needed in this instance. blood work will show any abnormalities.

keep us updated Amanda, we're all rooting for you!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Best of luck, Amanda!!! I agree, it sounds like Angel had a seizure.

Please give us an update when you have a chance. I'll be thinking of you!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Geez Amanda, how clever were you to get on here and ask for help! You showed very clear thinking and did the best things you could have for your bird - well done! It can be maddening when you log in and everyone's either asleep or shopping or in the bathroom, but thankfully Terry was here to answer and reassure you. Sending warm hugs and hope your birdie gets a clean bill of health. We're all waiting anxiously now to hear how you got on at the vet's. :)

Good work, Terry. I'm so glad you were here for Amanda when she needed you! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you Trish:) I was happy to be able to try to help her feel better. Praying that Angel is okay.

OP
A

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
Hello everyone! Thanks so much for all the kind words, and helpful feedback! I am still trying to figure out the forum. It took me forever to find this thread again : / anyways, so Angel had actually broken off a piece of a wooden toy we purchased him on Xmas and it was wedged in his throat!!!!!!!!!!! At the point where I was rocking him it must have dislodged in his beak!!!!!! He was trying so feverishly to get it out it was applying pressure to the inside of his mouth which caused those red blotches I saw on the white of his face, above his lower beak. If I wasn't there to move him, he couldnt breathe!! My mom and dad are so thankful I was home and noticed what had happened even though I did not see the wood in his mouth. From me rocking him and turning him over it repositioned! And allowed him to breath. It was a thin one inch long sliver of wood. We removed the toys that have wood on them ( which was kind of a lot? ) and he got some medicines from the vet and we are all just very thankful that we got there when we did, how scary!
Betrisher- I didn't really know what to expect from here, I was just completely panicked and remember coming on here years ago to read healthy things to feed the birds and it just popped into my head! But I was very grateful Terry was there to calm me! And I'm so happy for all the feedback!
Crimson- oh my! I can just imagine how terrified you were. And yes Angel was almost like he was looking through me! And I started to rock him. I was absolutely terrified and at a loss of what to do. Thank you for your support!
JerseyWendy- I live in new jersey too! And thank you for your kind words!!
Kendra- I just can't say thank you enough to everyone who was nice to me, and caring!!
And terry- I'm just so incredibly grateful you were available to help me! Even if it was just a friendly voice of reason! Sometimes when your heart is in the middle of the catastrophe things aren't as clear as they should be! Thank you so much!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Amanda, I am so thrilled that Angel is going to be okay! Thank goodness you were there with him, and in fact saved his life! That's fantastic and you should be so proud of yourself for keeping it together for him.
You are very welcome, I was glad that I could be there for you:)
Thank you for the update, I can go to bed now. I was so worried about him and am so glad you came on to let us know.
I would LOVE to see pictures of Angel!

OP
A

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
Thank you so much Terry! I don't know how to upload any pictures? Can you explain to me how I can do it? I have tons!! And I would love to share and see other peoples photos as well....how can I see their photos? Are there albums somewhere like Facebook? I'm going to have to explore around the site tomorrow after work. But today I just had to figure how to post, and receive the replies. I'm just so shocked that he had wood in his mouth. Sighhhh. I'm so grateful he is alright! My family would have been completely devastated had things gone differently! Thank you so much for caring and being so welcoming to me : ) there are good people in the world

OP
A

amandamegan

Jan 13, 2014
Wantage, NJ
Parrots
K well, I figured out how to edit and upload some pictures!! I'm exhausted, long day. Perhaps I will be back tomorrow! Have a great evening everyone & again, I can't thank you enough! Have a good night!! Xox sweet dreams!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Glad to hear that your bird is now OK, even more that it was your actions which saved him. As for losing threads- I know what you mean, if your page gets bumped off the "active topics" page, unless you can remember which species or topic, in other words section, your post was in, you've lost it! Have the same problem myself. Anyway, glad it has worked out for you and especially for Angel :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Did you take him to the vet anyways???? Just in case the wood did any damage while in the back of his throat. I'm glad it came out though, that's a scary feeling.....

Most Reactions