Help! New African grey 7 months old bites me but not my boyfriend

Jenn89

Jan 7, 2018
Media
Hello new to the group need some advice recently got a 7 month old Congo I love him but he hates me we have had him about a week and he loves my boyfriend he can do anything to him when it comes to me he will not let me he has let me pet him and step up a couple times but for the most part he tryā€™s to bite me and now Iā€™m a little scared of him which makes it worse for now I just talk to him and he takes treats from me as Iā€™m trying to show him we are friends but Iā€™m getting frustrated cuz my boyfriend will walk in the room pick him up no problem and heā€™ll dance and get all excited šŸ™„ do I just keep giving him treats and spend time with him and heā€™ll come around?:grey:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums.

Socializing is an important part of Parrot ownership. When the Parrot quickly develops a relationship with one Human, that person become responsible for working with the Parrot to accept the other. Pass the Bird is a great way of developing a working relationship with a new Parrot. In this game, the liked person, passes the Parrot to the other person and then moving the Parrot back and forth. Lots of praise and a treat always help.

NOTE #1: Parrots are very keen of the Pecking Order and it is very important that your BF is aware of that and that he keeps that in mind with his interactions with the Parrot.

NOTE #2: Parrot are very aware of our emotions. It your Parrot becomes aware of your fear. The Parrot will assume that s/he is one step higher on the Pecking Order list.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Last edited:

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
There are people far more knowledgeable than me here, but it seems to me that parrots have preferences. Our Amazon loves me to the exclusion of everyone else. he will tolerate my wife. The male cockatoo hates me like poison. I am 100 percent certain that he is plotting my demise. But, when my wife is not home, he only softly bites me.
The female cockatoo loves me most but tolerates everyone. She is as sweet as she can be.

That is not to say that you can't eventually, with patience, reach a peace treaty with your CAG. You can win him over because they can change their minds, just like we do. Send him flowers.

OP
Jenn89

Jenn89

Jan 7, 2018
Media
He is starting to get excited when I enter the room now so I guess thatā€™s a sign he starting to like me ����Iā€™ll keep u guys posted and if u think of any other advice please feel free to share it thanks !!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
another idea that may help is to reserve the favorite treat to be given exclusively by you, whilst the favorite human as of right now gives out the still desirable but not as loved treats. Much like the FA parrots are very much open to bribery

Most Reactions