Help! Nippy Over-Protective Grey!

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Dexter (RIP); Breeding pair of Green Cheek Conures, Bonnie & Clyde; Three Budgerigars, Joe Jonas, Taylor Swift, and Bruce Willis
My Congo African Grey, Dexter, is about one year old now, I raised him from when he was about four months old. He's always been very sweet and friendly but after we moved from NC to CA he's starting to "act out", especially towards my husband. When my husband goes to take him out of his cage he puffs all of his feathers out, clicks his beak together, and tries to bite him even before he puts his hand in the cage to get him. For me, he comes out of his cage just fine. He's also started to cower and run from my husband if he's out of the cage with me and my husband goes to try to pick him up or give him a head-scratch like he allows me to do. When I'm not around my husband says Dexter acts just fine, steps up and acts like a sweetheart with him. He was fine with him back in NC. We thought it was possibly because he was becoming a "one person bird" like most people have said greys become, but here lately he's even starting to get nippy with me? Could it be something we're doing wrong? or is he just going through a nippy phase? Help!

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
Sounds like sexual maturity is starting and the hormones are coming into effect. If he will come to your husband when you are not around, then he has chosen you to be his mate. This is not unusual for him to interact with the 'less than favorite' person if the human mate is out of the picture.

Does he try doing the happy dance on your hand? Does he try to regurgitate for you? Where do you usually pet him? Just the head and neck? Long strokes down the back? Under the wings?

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Dexter (RIP); Breeding pair of Green Cheek Conures, Bonnie & Clyde; Three Budgerigars, Joe Jonas, Taylor Swift, and Bruce Willis
He used to try to regurgitate, but I would walk away and ignore him so he very rarely tries to pull that move anymore. Usually he's only pet on his head/neck, it's rare that he lets me pet him even near his wings, sometimes he lets me pet his foot but only for very brief periods.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Do you know Dexter's sex? We have two birds in the house I have to do that with. One is Willie, when I am around, he's absolutely evil towards my partner. But Willie don't provoke if he's left alone. Java on the other hand WILL fly attack my partner and go chase after anyone else in the same room with me. They both sees me as their mate. Sounds like Dexter have reached sexual maturity and is very bonded with you. IF he would do more of the feeding chores and treat for Dexter, that may help a bit with the situation. Otherwise your only option is to leave the room when your husband wants to pet Dexter.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
it may be a funny thing to do but you kinda get use to it, lol nut loves my man! an when he is about, she use to be evil to me!
but the giving them space and not being confrontational has relaxed the situation, and i am also the main cleaner etc lol

oh nut is fine when my mans not around, but she did go through a stage when i was her fav
now we leave them to it, an she is happy to leave his side and eat by me at meal times

it does take time for these situations to settle, but for the love of your husbands hands, he should not put them into your birds cage, his best tactic would be to let bird climb out and ask him to step up, or just leave it be

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great advise from members in above mentioned posts
It sure sounds like Dexter has found a mate in you. Try let your hubby interact more with Dexter. Eg: Let him feed Dexter, a few times, do not be present. After a few times, enter the room, sit and just watch them, while he is being feed. When
Dexter has got used to hubby, then each have a turn in feeding in. In this way Dexter will get used to the idea you are sharing him.

In my lifetime with birds, I have been most fortunate. Only ever had AG's who loved both male and females equally. Mishka my current bird is a 4 years old male, he will go willing to anyone who wants to pick. He loves it when strangers feed him. I have truly been blessed.....
Keep us posted with his progress
Good luck

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Dexter is a DNA sexed male, so it does sound like he's being a lil hormonal lol! I guess I'm going to have to convince my husband to stop being scared of feeding/cleaning him so maybe Dex will warm back up.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I did have my vet ask me today if it was ok to come near me while Merlin was cuddled up against my chest. I said, well, she hasn't bitten me yet, and as far as I can tell she is not over protective of me. So far she's the only one that doesn't get jealous either when I am paying attention to another bird or the cat. So I, too, am blessed so far, but I have only had Merlin a few weeks. But, being a female she may not have any interest in mate bonding with me. So far the only one that doesn't want strangers near me might be Pete. My conure has been with me a long time, but she has never bitten me either when someone was standing near me.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
That varies from bird to bird. But I think sometimes when they do bite while someone else is around is to let us know we're putting them in danger and they're uncomfortable, that's how Willie is... or sometimes they're in a rage to attack someone else but during the rage and confusion they bite the wrong person. They usually let go pretty quick as soon as they realize what they've done....

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That varies from bird to bird. But I think sometimes when they do bite while someone else is around is to let us know we're putting them in danger and they're uncomfortable, that's how Willie is... or sometimes they're in a rage to attack someone else but during the rage and confusion they bite the wrong person. They usually let go pretty quick as soon as they realize what they've done....

Another theory is they are telling you to fly away from the danger. I think maybe jealousy as well, especially if it is your spouse/bf/gf that is coming near you.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I just wanna bring this back up because of what Java did tonight. He was begging for attention and to come out. BUT I had the ekkies out and Malachai, play with the newly weaned baby tiel (she's going to her new home Friday), handfed the two baby tiels, and then I went to him. He was MAD!!! He let me know it too, jump up my arm and first thing he did was nip my arm, I told him no biting, he turns and nip at my upper arm. Bruising both areas so I placed him right back in the cage as he was being kinda crazy tonight like two nights ago. Jealousy is a big part, but I also know hormones is starting right now too cause a friend with a female U2 near by is having the same issue with hers right now, her's bit her leg pretty good alot like what happened to shredded's finger....I had no choice but to put him back when he's like this, I can read him pretty good now after having two terrible bites from him I know better. Best to let him be before he goes completely coo coo...I take him out again once he's calmer...When that umbrella raises and he's doing hissing sound, better watch out....

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Well, tonight Dexter was actually pretty well behaved... he actually sat with my husband for 15-20 minutes while we watched TV till he eventually crawled over to me (lol) but normally he's not like that.

I'm really hoping it's just a little phase he needs a little time to grow out of. I've heard of people having "issues" with greys when they're younger so maybe that's kind of what he's going through now. I always thought he had his nippy phase when he was younger considering how he'd behave with my ex but maybe that was just because he didn't like him at all? (lol again!)

I'm definitely going to make sure my husband keeps making an effort with Dex, the two loves of my life have to at least SOMEWHAT get along ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts