Help! Not sure what has happened but my 26 yr. CAG has begun to bite me.

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
One female Congo African Grey
She bangs bell to be let out. She keeps getting down off cage, but I can't let leave her alone. I talk with her, but I think she is needing more attention than I can give her. I know she doesn't care for our Great Pyrenees dog but they both live here.
She is more aggressive lately. She was outdoors today while I worked out there. Tonight, she was in my computer room and we played with paper balls. Then, I went to pick her up and she nailed me so hard, twice!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She bangs bell to be let out. She keeps getting down off cage, but I can't let leave her alone. I talk with her, but I think she is needing more attention than I can give her. I know she doesn't care for our Great Pyrenees dog but they both live here.
She is more aggressive lately. She was outdoors today while I worked out there. Tonight, she was in my computer room and we played with paper balls. Then, I went to pick her up and she nailed me so hard, twice!
Hormonal perhaps? How long have you had her? Has she ever gone through periods when she acted like this?

OP
Mulligan

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
Hormonal perhaps? How long have you had her? Has she ever gone through periods when she acted like this?
No. I have had her since she hatched. 26 years. Maybe she doesn't like the new colorful ladder I put in her cage. Just thought of that. But, the bite was deadly. She drew blood twice.

OP
Mulligan

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
Congo. I just took the ladder out. She is covered for the night. I will see how she is tomorrow.
Friday morning was the first bite. We were leaving early for an appt. I fixed her daily water, pellets and seed mixture. Told her to watch the house and went to rub her head as I often do. She grabbed my finger so hard. She was angry about something? She has always been feisty and doesn't care to be handled, but I have always been able to pick her up and carry her to and from cage. I am careful when others are around because if she gets nervous or they frighten her in anyway, she will snap and bite me. Normally, she doesn't get mean as she has these past few days. I am hoping it is the ladder.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
WIth any large to very large parrot, any nip or bite is gonna be a "red badge of courage". My small Amazon has pretty evident body language when he does not want to be held or touched - ignore them at my peril. While African Grey body language is much subtler, after 26 years I will bet you know hers. One sure way to piss my Salty off is to break the routine in the evening, like if I go out to play a gig or something, I know he will need to be put to bed with my hand wrapped in a towel.
That new ladder could very well be the change in environment that is pissing off your female! Remove the offensive piece of Kryptonite, and see if she improves.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
If it's not hormones, then it could definitely be the new ladder, or anything else "new" in the room or around. New furniture, new placement of something, new clothes you are wearing, seeing something new outside? I would take a survey of what is around that could be agitating her, get her to bed earlier & let her sleep for longer & if her behavior doesn't improve, get a blood panel done on her by a vet. Often behavior changes (if not hormonal or stress from something visual or sounds), are the first sign of some systemic issue going on. You mentioned she is 26, & this is the time when arthritis can begin, fatty liver, high cholesterol & kidney issues show up in CAGs.

OP
Mulligan

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
If it's not hormones, then it could definitely be the new ladder, or anything else "new" in the room or around. New furniture, new placement of something, new clothes you are wearing, seeing something new outside? I would take a survey of what is around that could be agitating her, get her to bed earlier & let her sleep for longer & if her behavior doesn't improve, get a blood panel done on her by a vet. Often behavior changes (if not hormonal or stress from something visual or sounds), are the first sign of some systemic issue going on. You mentioned she is 26, & this is the time when arthritis can begin, fatty liver, high cholesterol & kidney issues show up in CAGs.
Thank you. I took out ladder and moved the bell that she was used to demanding my attention. She seems better. Will keep an eye on her.

Botsari

Nov 1, 2022
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Parrots
African Greys
Yes, my first guess would be some recent change that makes your bird more nervous than usual. Mine have always been weird this way - many to most large changes to their room or cage caused no problem, but a new golf ball size knickknack barely visible on a shelf a dozen feet away can sometimes make them growl. One time I had one of those sandpaper style perches that perfectly matched up with another perch that they liked just fine design-wise. But this one was designed with a slight curve in it like a real branch. I could not even put that thing anywhere in their room without them screeching in panic. Maybe it was a "snake" trigger. But I'm sure smaller triggers might cause just biting.

Jealousy of a perceived new rival for your attention is another classic one with biting.

OP
Mulligan

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
I am happy to report that Jingles is much better. I removed the new colorful ladder. Though I greeted her daily, I did not pay too much attention or make too much eye contact. I did open up her cage so she could sit on top. The other day she came into my computer room and wanted UP. I put her on the desktop and she wanted to be on my arm and then shoulder. She kept rubbing her head on the side of my face (though I was careful not to let her near my eyes). She had never done this, so I think she missed my attention. I am careful and will hope she continues on calm and happy mode. Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Most Reactions

Latest posts