HELP, please. Are all Ekkies moody?

leomacaw

Jul 13, 2010
Hong Kong
Parrots
2 Greys, 2 Yellow Sided Conures, 1 Jardine's & 1 Lovebird.
Are all Ekkies moody? I had my boy for a week and now he will step up on my hand and take food from me. But sometimes he will also bite me so hard... Is it universal?

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
The females are rather moody, in my experience. My male is extremely even-tempered and easygoing, however. He seems to always be the same. You just haven't had him very long, so he is adjusting to everything, and trying to get comfortable with it all. Just allow him the space to go through that, and be patient.

Jollyjess80

Oct 23, 2012
Chico, CA
Parrots
Beeker: SI Eclectus,
Kianna: Grn Cheeked Conure
Mine is going through this to and he has been with my bf and I for almost 3 months, he's ok with me but gets moody with my bf, I also am home almost all day, when mine got moody with me I took my hand away from him and stood there and talked to him, this is gonna sound dorky but I would sometimes like dance or do funny moves and it would make him interested and come over to me, or even go to the other side of the cage and play peek a boo, once he was interested he would want to get on my hand. Parrots love drama and it entices them, try it it just may work ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
JoJo the male ekkie came to me that way too! You just need to spend a lot more time with him to get him used to you. I spend alone time with him several times a day, before I go to work in the morning, first thing when I get home, and then before I head to bed. It took me about a week to get him to trust me a bit more. A month later he's trusting me pretty good and stepping up like a champ. Now almost 2 years later, he loves me dearly and is no longer shy in talking in front of me. He turns his cheek for me to kiss him on the cheek and make the kissing sound. And he makes funny noises after that. I spend a lot more one on one time with a new bird over the other birds because it is important you build that bond early on. Once it's built, it's easier to handle them. I can pretty much handle all my birds except the parakeets and the finches. They fly free in the aviary so they can careless for me to try to hold them. But they do care when they see me bring them treats though....lol.....

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
I wouldn't call Chico moody. Not at all. He is a good little catapillar. He always steps up when asked though sometimes I have to insist a little and never bites me.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
My ekkie is moody not always but she has her days like we do. I dont mess with her when she is moody . My girl is 4 years though and been through a time so i dont push her to do anything and i dont expect nothing out of her. My girl is still learning to trust me i once read it can even take up to a year for a bird to gain trust in you..My girl is smart, and because ekkies are smart I think well its my belief it takes them long to trust. My conure trusted me in a short time i can do anything to him he knows i will be there for him but she is just so different. Probaly her past IDK I love her even her mood swings

Zora

Dec 2, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
3 Eclectus parrots
My female eclectus NEVER bites me. She is a good girl! My two males though will bite me though, especially the older male named Woody. My young baby boy named Martini will play bite, even though it still kind of hurts. He's a good boy though!

eclectusmama

Dec 3, 2012
oregon
Parrots
Eclectus male
The females are rather moody, in my experience. My male is extremely even-tempered and easygoing, however. He seems to always be the same. You just haven't had him very long, so he is adjusting to everything, and trying to get comfortable with it all. Just allow him the space to go through that, and be patient.
Very good advice, yes they can be moody, see him as a child and allow for adjustment.:)

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
Im going to go with yes. Its known that they are moody, especially the females. There are always rules to the exception though, kinda like Zora said that her female never bites. My girl used to bite alot when I first got her but now that ive had her for 6 months, she has mellowed out quite a bit and is now part of the family and the only time she bites is if I play with her too rough. She likes to play rough but sometimes she gets overly excited and will bite kinda hard. Never draws blood or anything, it just hurts and I know she is just playing. The last time she bit me out of aggression was probably 2 months ago.

Ive also noticed that she seems to be more aggresive when she is bored. If I keep her entertained alot and give her plenty of foraging opportunites she seems much more relaxed and fun which makes total sense.

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
My female has drawn too much blood from me. My male doesn't even seem to know how to bite. So dramatically different...

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
I honestly think Ekkies are just different in general. Ive been around alot of birds and while each species is different and each bird is different, the "moods" of ekkies are just so different from anything ive ever seen. Having one (especially a female haha) has really been an interesting experience in the bird world. 6 months ago I was asking this same question (in a different way) and 6 months later its nothing new to me LOL.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My Ruby is hormal right now so she is nippy and now hates the Hubby and puffs up and lunges at him. Normally she is a sweet loving girl to the entire family. This is her first hormonal period so I have to wait and see how long it lasts and how she acts after it passes. Even though she is hormonal, she just nips, its not what I would call a bite. She doesnt break the skin and I can tell she doesnt intend to break the skin. Ruby is lazy with her beak and wont crack anything except peanuts, I have to crack pecans and almonds for her. I wouldnt trade her for anything in the world, as she is my sweet baby girl.

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
I should also mention that its important to pay attention to when they are being moody. Ekkies are known to not like noisy households and with my girl she seems fine when the wife and kiddo are home but she is only super sweet with me when its just her and I at home. Its such a crazy difference. Just pay attention to her moods and try to figure out your birds moods.

Most Reactions