Help please!

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
Hi everyone and sorry for being absent for so long but as many of you know we have been kept very busy with our cat who was battling cancer, sadly we lost Greggie last night.

My problem is that Puffin naturally spent a lot of time with Greggie and heard us calling,comforting and treating him and learnt not only his name but to call Greggie and tell him to "be a brave boy"as we were medicating him. This is now really distressing my daughter and she wants me to ünteach"him and I really don't know what to do. Maybe in time he will forget or if not, it won't be so raw but I really don't want this to become an issue with my daughter and Puffin. Any ideas?

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Nice to have you back :)

Sorry to hear you lost Greg, he put up a good fight :(:( now he will rest in peace.

Eddie doesn't talk much, so not sure how to 'unteach'. Maybe just try not to respond to it so he uses it less:confused: same as you would with screaming.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Poor Greggie.:( I am really sorry for your loss.

That is a tuff situation indeed, I can just see how it breaks your heart when ever Greggie's name are mentioned.

Time will heal and hopefully in time Puffin will not call him anymore.

I agree that ignoring works best. How about saying a completely new phrase for Puffin to learn. Something that you never say, that is interesting and will grab Puffin's attention.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Llinky has the best idea here. It is so tough to go through the loss of a pet, especially when you are hearing what you said to your kitty. You can try to refrase the words sor of like
be a wave toy or something like that. My heart is with you in your grief.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
I agree, with SB - Linky's idea of reteaching him something else may be the way forward. Im so sorry to hear of your loss - I know how it feels to loose a pet after fighting so hard to save its life. My thoughts and prayers are with you :)

Most Reactions