Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Any yellow on the back of the neck?

Very hard to judge Yellow Naped ages because their yellow can start coming in from any time between a year (even younger), and FIVE years. If that ain’t bad enough, the individual’s quantity and intensity of yellow varies greatly.

With some hardly getting any yellow at all!

It’s water under the bridge, but if I couldn’t get an age and history on the bird, let alone the species, I would have run away.

Do you have a gram scale to weigh him?

OP
P

pez

Nov 21, 2020
No yellow on his neck... just green.

Haven't got scales to weigh him, he's sleeping again now... hope he wakes up a bit more cheerful

promethuschow

Mar 17, 2017
Queens, NYC
Parrots
CAG, GCC, Mynha
Go take him to an avian vet, if none within reasonable driving distance an exotic vet who has some experience with birds would do the work for the time being.

OP
P

pez

Nov 21, 2020
He's wanting attention again now... just clicking his beack and enjoying a cuddle...

Is He's beak ok to you lot? Seems to be ok to me?

25318d1605980745-help-please-20201121_174306.jpg

Attachments

• 20201121_174306.jpg
    20201121_174306.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I picked up that you have had him for 2 weeks, and the screaming just started 2 days ago. So something has changed to trigger this; parrots don't scream for no reason ( even if it is a learned thing, the screaming starts for some initial reason). You've had Grey experience, so you know that anything can set them off. Look closely at what may have changed int he last several days. I would also consider having him thoroughly checked over by a qualified avian vet, who really knows parrots. A constant screaming issue does sound like its a pain related problem, as parrots rarely do anything 100% of the time whether its screaming, plucking, or other activity.

tick off things like
diet change
surroundings change
your appearance change
toy change
household members change
if he's near a window - has what he can see changed
new smell change
new sound change

Hope this helps. But really if he is comfortable enough to sleep on your shoulder already, he seems to have started to bond with you. If you can work thru this screaming thing, he might be an excellent companion.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I picked up that you have had him for 2 weeks, and the screaming just started 2 days ago. So something has changed to trigger this; parrots don't scream for no reason ( even if it is a learned thing, the screaming starts for some initial reason). You've had Grey experience, so you know that anything can set them off. Look closely at what may have changed int he last several days. I would also consider having him thoroughly checked over by a qualified avian vet, who really knows parrots. A constant screaming issue does sound like its a pain related problem, as parrots rarely do anything 100% of the time whether its screaming, plucking, or other activity.

tick off things like
diet change
surroundings change
your appearance change
toy change
household members change
if he's near a window - has what he can see changed
new smell change
new sound change

Hope this helps. But really if he is comfortable enough to sleep on your shoulder already, he seems to have started to bond with you. If you can work thru this screaming thing, he might be an excellent companion.

Excellent observations here and prior posts.

Can you describe his diet, have his droppings changed perceptibly?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think it would be a shame to give up so quickly.
If he is cuddling with you it means you already have a good bond.
As mentioned above there is nearly always a reason for screaming.
The better you know your bird the better able to figure out the reason. As your bird is new to you that makes it difficult.

Medical reasons need to be ruled out the sooner the better.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am thinking this is a yellow fronted or yellow crowned amazon. Yellow napes have black nares and a more black beak.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you, dear members, and mods, and readers, for supporting any and all efforts towards helping cases like this. I am so grateful that new people have someplace to go, to ask for advice and support. I recall, 35+ years ago, sitting at home and staring at my new Patagonian chick, wondering what the heck to do next, after my initial absurd impulse buy... no 'net, no help, just confusion.
Thanks for being here.
9lhIlM0.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts