Help post-surgery

TayKiren

Apr 11, 2019
Parrots
Parakeets
Hello, my parakeet just had a preening gland mass removed. I was so stressed about the surgery part that I didn't have time to stress about the recovery part. I was just hoping he would wear a cone and that would be that. But no. He was so good at the vet, apparently didn't try to mess with the sutures at all. Well, the second we got home he was going at them. The vet made him a cone, but it isn't big enough to stop him reaching it. I tried making a bigger one and he FREAKED out, which is what the vet said happened earlier. I'm so nervous that he's not going to let it heal. It's not like he's constantly going at it, but still, it's pretty often.. I'm so happy that he made it through surgery but now I'm just so stressed out. It's only been about 2.5 hours, so maybe he'll eventually leave it be?
I'm going to call the vet in the morning, but I'm not sure he has much advice. I mean, I really don't know what else there really is to do, other than maybe board him at the vet? If he's good for them? Only thing I can think of is using a bitter apple spray or something like that, but I can't find anything on if that actually works or is recommended. So, I thought I'd make a post and just see if there's any chance someone's past experiences could help me. Any ideas or advice is appreciated!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh no :( I can't even imagine how difficult it is to keep a cone on a bird. Maybe one those anti-pluck collars people use? Or maybe something like this cone would work?

Calling the vet in the morning is a good idea. I hope he recovers well!

Most Reactions

Latest posts