Help - preventing chewing on necklaces, glasses, earrings

Questionbirdy

Aug 30, 2022
My family's 10 month old lovebird loves chewing on people's glasses frames, necklaces, and earrings (while they are on the person's face/neck) - any tips on how to disincentivize this behaviour?

He's particularly interested in chewing and sitting on top of my glasses while I am wearing them, and I would love to learn if there is a strategy to this other than saying "no" and getting it to step up on my finger and move away from my face.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
As far as I know, NOPE! But good luck! Enjoy your parrot!

Not for nothing you'll miss it when they loose interest.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
When I first got him, my QP Ralph was obsessed with my glasses and would actually pull them off my face and throw them on the floor. Fortunately he got over that fairly quickly, though he still thinks my glasses are mighty interesting. It might be best if anyone handling your lovebird removed their glasses, and any jewelry, when the parrot is going to be on or near them. It's really the easiest way to avoid broken glasses and chewed up earrings.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Trying to train a parrot out of a undesirable habit is tough. As has been mentioned the easiest way is to just take them off before you start the interaction with your parrot. And I would definitely take off the earrings. Re the glasses, you can try distracting him with something else, a favorite toy perhaps or something that gets him to fly off, but here is the thing - you have to do it every time he sits on your glasses. Every time, no exceptions. And this might take a long time to train him out of the behavior. Parrots HATE change. A lot of folks try training their parrot to do something, like this, but either aren't consistent or give up after a few days or weeks, far to quickly. Example - I wanted to train my Amazon, Salty, to wear a harness and be totally OK with it. It took me just over a YEAR of every night training to accomplish this. Think about that. 365+ times until he would sit comfortably on my hand or shoulder without constantly trying to nibble thru the harness.

Most Reactions

Latest posts