What are the rules for sitting on shoulders

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
My Sun (almost 20 years old) always has enjoyed riding around on my shoulder when I am doing stuff.

She doesn't do anything naughty on my shoulder except if I am wearing a sweater, she may chew on it.

She may touch my hearing aids and play with my earrings (I only wear hoops around her, no studs or anything that can easily fall out).

Last couple of days, I have noticed that she won't always step off of my shoulder when I offer my hand to step up. She will either avoid me or nip/nibble at my finger. In all these instances I was wearing a sweater so she probably wanted to stay.

My question is, what are the rules for sitting on the shoulder of a parrot who usually has no issues with getting on or off, but suddenly begins to resist? Should I not allow her to sit on there anymore for a while? She is also starting to fly and land on my shoulder without my placing her there. Should I discourage that?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My Sun (almost 20 years old) always has enjoyed riding around on my shoulder when I am doing stuff.

She doesn't do anything naughty on my shoulder except if I am wearing a sweater, she may chew on it.

She may touch my hearing aids and play with my earrings (I only wear hoops around her, no studs or anything that can easily fall out).

Last couple of days, I have noticed that she won't always step off of my shoulder when I offer my hand to step up. She will either avoid me or nip/nibble at my finger. In all these instances I was wearing a sweater so she probably wanted to stay.

My question is, what are the rules for sitting on the shoulder of a parrot who usually has no issues with getting on or off, but suddenly begins to resist? Should I not allow her to sit on there anymore for a while? She is also starting to fly and land on my shoulder without my placing her there. Should I discourage that?
Have you had your Sunnie for all her life? I think what you should do might depend on how long you've had her and how long she's been shoulder surfing.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Have you tried getting her to step up in front of a mirror?
seeing exactly where your hand is can help.

My YNA lost shoulder privileges due to biting me.
I occasionally allow it and he doesn’t step up for beans.
I have to lower my shoulder even to his cage so he will step off.
Or take off my shirt🥶:gcc:

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
The only rule I have for shoulder surfing is don't bite me. Sometimes my Shifty doesn't want to step up either and will give me a little nip to let me know. It's usually better to let them do what they like as long as nothing is being hurt or damaged

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Hi, yes I have tried in front of a mirror. The common denominator seems to be sweaters. She likes sweaters. If she is sitting on a sweater and chewing up a good time, she is less likely to want to come off unless I have food.

I would say most of the time she will step off willingly.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Have you had your Sunnie for all her life? I think what you should do might depend on how long you've had her and how long she's been shoulder surfing.

I have had her for 19 years, she was 1 when I got her. However, I have not been able to handle her as well as I have not since her cage mate passed away. She always hid behind her a lot. So when her cage mate died, it was like getting a new bird. I wasn't as close to Sunny as I am now. Now we are pretty tight. When they both were alive, I was closer to her cage mate because she was my first bird and I had her since she was a baby. Sunny always would just follow her lead. I really could not have much of an independent relationship with her because she often picked her buddy over me unless I had food haha..

Most Reactions

Latest posts