Help shy talking parrot

charliechuck

May 8, 2014
Hi there we have just taken charlie in who is 18 yrs old and been with previous owners 18 yrs.When we visited him at his previous home he was talking in front of his owners ,but upon bringing him home with us he only talks when we are out the room will he overcome this and talk in front of us thanks in advance.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
He is disoriented and settling in. Just sit down with him and talk to him.

CAGS frequently "study" people before they open up to them. (Then they don't shut up!)

Mine frequently talks up a storm when you leave the room, so to some extent it's normal.

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
Yea it will take a while in a new environment my bird won't speak when other people are in my house. Congratualtions on ur new bird

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Some CAGs are closet talkers, they do most of their talking when nobody is around.Keep talking to him conversationally, he should settle in in a few weeks.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A good way to teach a closet talker to talk more freely while around humans is to reward them each time you hear them talking. Even if they shut up when you enter the room to give them a reward, if they learn that talking = reward, they may learn to talk more in other situations.

Most Reactions

Latest posts