help! Skim coating walls and dry wall compound safety?!?!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have to go to my parents' house in 2 weeks with the bird. They are in the process of re-doing the bathroom walls/ceiling. They used a 0 VOC primer, and Tuesday, some guy is supposed to come over to do "skim coating" using "dry wall compound". I asked my mom what brand/type of compound---she doesn't know...said it was made of gypsum but didn't know what else was in it (no clue if it is real or synthetic gypsum either).

She (who is terrible at internet research) attempted to Google this to see if it would be safe for birds, and because one random person on some forum said they re-did their kitchen and birds survived, my mom took that as a green-light for parrot safety...despite the complete lack of product/material details..

For those of you who know about this, I am concerned about the additives to the compounds--I see that there are all sorts of types but on theirs, the primary ingredient is gypsum. That having been sad, I am almost certain there must be some sort of spreading agent/ other additives....Any thoughts on whether these types of products are safe? Any to avoid? Any other chemicals that a professional might use during this process that could harm a bird?

SO.... what drywall compounds (if any) could be safe?? and is drywall mud different (if so, is it safe?) I am not sure if "compound" is an umbrella term or what...
How long does the dust hand around?
Is there any glue or anything else toxic that could be problematic?

We would be going over there roughly 10 days after the coating, but I know from experience that certain things can off-gas for months...

Last edited:

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
From my experience doing drywall, a long time ago, drywall compound (AKA mud) is what goes down on fresh drywall or on a prepped wall before paint. The skim coat usually just means that it is applied quickly to fill in areas that are low or may have imperfections in it to even out the surface before paint. Once it's dried, it's usually sanded down before primer paint. When it's applied it gives of a noticeable odor, they usually contain a small amount of ethylene glycol, and it disipates over a few days. It does contain gypsum in it and when sanded down can produce dust that can be an irritant to breathe in. The painting is another concern too with fumes as well. If the room is cleaned well and ventilated, 10 days after the whole process should get rid of most of it. If it still smells like fresh paint, I'd be Leary. If possible, limit your little guy's exposure to the room. And just keep an eye on where he explores. You know how they like to use their tongues. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
From my experience doing drywall, a long time ago, drywall compound (AKA mud) is what goes down on fresh drywall or on a prepped wall before paint. The skim coat usually just means that it is applied quickly to fill in areas that are low or may have imperfections in it to even out the surface before paint. Once it's dried, it's usually sanded down before primer paint. When it's applied it gives of a noticeable odor, they usually contain a small amount of ethylene glycol, and it disipates over a few days. It does contain gypsum in it and when sanded down can produce dust that can be an irritant to breathe in. The painting is another concern too with fumes as well. If the room is cleaned well and ventilated, 10 days after the whole process should get rid of most of it. If it still smells like fresh paint, I'd be Leary. If possible, limit your little guy's exposure to the room. And just keep an eye on where he explores. You know how they like to use their tongues. [emoji23]

Thanks-- my fear is the risk of off-gassing and some sanding --I found quite a few resources stating that the compounds contain formaldehyde and acetaldehyde...plus some other nasty stuff that could tear up lungs.....(most of which, we couldn't probably smell)...including endocrine disruptions for humans etc..I just hate that we can put all this crap into products that is basically toxic...I know I have been around this stuff before, but I worry a lot about the bird, and I also worry because one of my sisters just finished some serious cancer treatments.

Quote I found:

"Drywall joint compound can contain harmful ingredients, including formaldehyde and acetaldehyde, both known carcinogens, and crystalline silica, which is a carcinogen when inhaled. Most premixed joint compounds contain harmful biocides like tributyltin, which is a potent endocrine disruptor and is highly toxic to aquatic life.

Look for joint compound that is low in VOCs, biocide free, and free of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Powdered joint compounds that must be mixed on site are less likely to contain biocides, but may pose increased inhalation concerns, so use appropriate ventilation and protection equipment."

Last edited:

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Yeah the older stuff used to be real bad. I know the newer stuff is better but still is cause for concern. However, drywall is covered in paint so all that stuff is eventually trapped under it, but then the paint has its own concerns as well. I have panelling on all my walls in my apartment. I dread the day when I get my own house and have to do the walls.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Yeah the older stuff used to be real bad. I know the newer stuff is better but still is cause for concern. However, drywall is covered in paint so all that stuff is eventually trapped under it, but then the paint has its own concerns as well. I have panelling on all my walls in my apartment. I dread the day when I get my own house and have to do the walls.

So, I thought about that too, but if all of these gasses are under there, won't they have to come out somehow? I mean, I get that the idea makes sense, but wouldn't an accumulation of concentrated and mixed chemical fumes be a combustion risk if they couldn't escape somehow?

Thanks again for responding!!!

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
The amounts aren't that great to make it combustible. Plus the amounts in it aren't large enough. Just enough to be a irritant.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Skim coating after the primer coat assures that the stains are locked below the primer and will not transfer from below the primer. This process is rarely used by the average contractor as it adds time and costs. So, your contractor is not cutting corners in this repair /upgrade.

Gypsum is a natural forming rock commonly known to form as part of the run-off of melting glacier containing high levels of clay with a wide cross-sections of minerals some of which can be dangerous in very high volume.

Drywall joint compound on the market today, no longer contains agents that had been added in the past to accelerate drying. Yes, California EPA helped push them out of the mix, but the real reason was the added cost for little benefit. Off-gassing (evaporating water) is low because the base minerals are classified as heavies and what there is falls to the floor. The only time that there is any concern is during sanding as the fine particles can be inhaled and in high volumes can result in breathing problems for those who actively sand everyday for years.

The concern for Avian members of the home is 'chewing' the drywall itself as clay, in volume, can clog the digestive system, but once again, it is an issue of high volume.

As long as Noodles is keep from carving her name in the drywall a few hundred times, all will be well.

Enjoy your time at your parents home!

Last edited:

Most Reactions