Help! Sudden Aggression & Attacking

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
My Amazon has just in the last few days started flying & attacking multiple family members on sight or if he hears their voice he will search them out & attack! He has only gone after my mom before but now he flew after & attacked my 8 yr old with NO provocation. My daughter didn't even know he was in the room! If I leave him in his cage he just cries, sobs & moans. What do I do???????

OP
Tammy

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Also, running away doesn't help. He chased my daughter through the kitchen & down the basement steps! He's 12 & has never had his wings clipped. Should I have them clipped so I can safely let him out of his cage? I don't want him locked away from the family but I can't have him terrorizing everyone.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Clipping may help w/the flogging for the short term. Have you had him long? Are you in the room when he does this? He may be seeing your daughter as a threat to his person. When he does this I would put him immediately either in his cage, or a room where you aren't. I know this is hard w/a flying bird, been there, done that. It could be hormonal, & getting extra sleep could help. Longer days & short nights brings on the breeding season. You can offset this somewhat by putting him to sleep earlier & letting him out later. Does he have anykind of relationship w/your daughter? Letting her be involved w/feeding & any fun activitiy may help for him to see her as less a threat. Amazons like drama, so making it a no nonsense "you were bad & I'm not going to spend time w/you" should get your point across to him eventually. Running from him is probably just fun for him. But w/your daughter so young, you may be forced to clip until he develops better manners.

Most Reactions

Latest posts