HELP!!, with air sac mites

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
thank you for all your support, and suggestions.

the vet said ulcers are not uncommon in birds, although they tend to be in the small type birds rather than parrots.

mikeytn- I have not had these birds very long, approximately 4 months. Gouldians and canaries are highly susceptible to air sac mites and is contagious.
I treat them with Ivermectin, however the vet suggested to change the way I was treating them to be more effective.

I've often wondered about our quality of water, and how good it was for the birds.
we go thru 4 litres of water(equivelant to 4 gallons)-- between all the bath and drinking water daily when feeding the birds.
I put it into a large jug in the morning, let it sit all day before giving it to the birds at night time. Added into the water are iodine drops.

The vet concluded that is was not the air sac mites that killed pumpkin(the first bird to die) it was the ulcer. he found dark blood within the lining of the stomach.
he felt there was no reason to send any tissue samples for further inspection, unless I decided to.

off to get the necropsy done for Spaz :(

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
results on necropsy for Spaz-

he had the EXACT same thing as Pumpkin, air sac mites in the trachea, and bleeding into his stomach.

well, at least I know what the cause of death was. talk about a kick in the teeth

the sad thing is I've had Ivermectin here, for over a year, and fell into the bottom of a box and I totally forgot about it. Using other treatments were not effective enough.

this whole nightmare could have and should have been prevented had I used Ivermectin on a regular basis.

R.I.P. Pumpkin, and Spaz, I have let you down in the worst possible way.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
That sucks....I know how you feel...but you did the best you could. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Crimson, so sorry, but why the ulcers? And why would you have to be so aggressive with medications for your birds? Are the mites just that prevalent in your region or did they have them when they came to you?

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
here is a link on air sac mites

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi50ZrOqaQ8]Air Sac Mite Treatment - YouTube[/ame]

Gemma1990

Dec 23, 2015
Hi,
I have used s76 for my own finches as treatment and i believe that it is also fine to use with pigeon, it had great effect with my birds, making them better within a couple of days, with s76 you add it to the birds drinking water so you can treat them all and do not need to catch them and stress them out to add it to their necks, you can get s76 within the UK at fabfinches.co.uk this i where I got mine from and they delivery quick and its free delivery to UK mainland. Good Luck with all your birds that you keep.

Most Reactions

Latest posts