Help with an aggressive cockatoo

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Incidentally - My red fronted macaw frequently likes to chase my CAG and my LCA around the playstand. Sometimes, my CAG likes to play.

Other times, he stops dead in his tracks and says firmly: "Sweepea! Knock it off!"

My macaw stops...

So, yeah, my birds know that particular command... even though I have never had to back Sweepea into a corner.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I agree with pretty much everything Birdman has to say. You cannot tolerate aggression and allow the bird to dominate through viciousness. That doesn't mean you beat, punish or yell at them, but there are various EFFECTIVE methods to prevent a bite and calm a bird down. I also see nothing wrong with a firm and commanding voice, they may not understand the words, but they understand the tone. My preferred word is "no", and when I use a firm voice, Kiwi ceases and desists whatever he's doing immediately. When he does, he gets verbal praise, and I try to direct him to a more positive activity. If he's being particularly foul, such as when he's hormonal, he will get a ride back to the cage on the stick and covered for a couple minutes so he can calm down. Once he's calm, he gets to come back out again, or get a treat/toy or some form of positive interaction. He was basically feral and absolutely vicious when we got him, but is a very well behaved bird now. Very rarely does he get told "no" or get a time out these days. He's learned with time certain behaviors do not get the desired reaction while others get praise and treats or a fun little toy. He trusts us and is an overall well adjusted bird (compared to the never been handled, frighted creature we brought home).

Also, I have seen birds interact together. They do not politely allow other to do 'bad' behaviors for fear of offending it. They will nip or chase the offender until that bird ceases what they were doing. And afterwards, they are all buddies again. That's how their social structure works.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Also, I have seen birds interact together. They do not politely allow other to do 'bad' behaviors for fear of offending it. They will nip or chase the offender until that bird ceases what they were doing. And afterwards, they are all buddies again. That's how their social structure works.

Exactly.

A lot of these bad behaviors are inadvertently "taught" to our birds.

It's easy to teach a bird to attention scream (by holding it to much), to bite (okay, I'll do exactly what you want on command, if you bite me!), Wanna go back to your cage? Owww. Wanna come out? Owww my ears! Owww my fingers! I'm sorry I didn't let you out sooner, no need to get huffy...

OH YES! Permissive parronting... you are inadvertently training the bird to do this.

And like I said, you very rarely have to back a bird into a corner more than once. In the wild, they'd be lucky to pick a fight with a bigger animal, get themselves trapped, and still live.

In some ways, by not eating them at that point, you ARE demonstrating trust.

SEE THAT, I COULD HAVE HAD YOU FOR DINNER. BUT I DIDN'T DID I?!

NOW KNOCK IT OFF, STEP UP, AND BE NICE!

GOOD BIRD! MUCH BETTER...

That is how it's done in my book. One easy lesson.

Then lesson learned - drama over!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
One more thing-

I've always noticed that when a bird becomes overly aggressive, that generally translates to it's overstimulated. There is just too much information for it's little brain to process, so it reacts in an irrational way. The floor seems to be a very mentally stimulating place for a lot of birds. I find the *best* thing is to prevent aggression in the first place. The best way to do that is to always be observant of what your bird is telling you. Strange noises, vibrating wings, flared tail, hisses, crazy pupils? This bird is too stimulated and should be directed to a different area and different activity, such as to the play stand and handed a toy BEFORE it lashes out. Personally, I prefer not to tell my bird no or to give him a time out, so I always have my eye on him, especially when he's somewhere he isn't normally that may be a tad too interesting for him to stay for very long (the floor, the back of the couch, the kitchen cabinets, the bed ext...). I notice he's getting too excited, I move him to one of his areas, give him a kiss, hand him a little toy and all is peaceful.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
One more thing-

I've always noticed that when a bird becomes overly aggressive, that generally translates to it's overstimulated. There is just too much information for it's little brain to process, so it reacts in an irrational way. The floor seems to be a very mentally stimulating place for a lot of birds. I find the *best* thing is to prevent aggression in the first place. The best way to do that is to always be observant of what your bird is telling you. Strange noises, vibrating wings, flared tail, hisses, crazy pupils? This bird is too stimulated and should be directed to a different area and different activity, such as to the play stand and handed a toy BEFORE it lashes out. Personally, I prefer not to tell my bird no or to give him a time out, so I always have my eye on him, especially when he's somewhere he isn't normally that may be a tad too interesting for him to stay for very long (the floor, the back of the couch, the kitchen cabinets, the bed ext...). I notice he's getting too excited, I move him to one of his areas, give him a kiss, hand him a little toy and all is peaceful.

Well, that's especially true of an amazon. Amazon overload is very real.

Toos, especially these guys, are more about birdie manipulation. And they do throw tantrums. And toos are harder to read than amazons. Amazons have a distinct body language that says only a fool would try to pick me up right now.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I'm no stranger to cockatoo manipulation, but they also get overstimulated. My dads goffin was quite aggressive towards everyone but my dad. He was a little harder to read than a zon, but there was no question when he was getting ready to bite you out of overstimulation vs. manipulation. When he got to excited, he hissed, crest would go up, wings would spread out, it was pretty clear NOT to go near him. When he wanted to be a vicious, manipulative thing, he'd just give you the evil eye. You may not have been able to see the pupils, but just the way he was looking at you was the most dead give away he was about to lace into you. Usually after turning his neck up for a scratch and giving you the "I want some love" look too. Then he'd give you the most evil look and you had all of 3 seconds to get your hand away or get bit.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Toos and sennies, to me, were always the hardest ones to predict.

Amazons and macaws were always the easiest.

THE FUNNIEST birdie manipulation I ever fell for was a too...

This poor screaming panicked bird had it's toe caught in a toy. It was obviously frightened, screaming like crazy, flapping like mad, and stuck. So I ran over to the cage, opened the door, and stuck my hand in to help free this "poor stuck birdie." Who, of course, immediately grabbed hold of my shirt with his beak, flipped over just as easy as you please, and was now an "instant shoulder bird"...

SUCKER! YOU FELL FOR IT... I'M OUT! AND I'M STAYING WITH YOU. DO NOT SET ME DOWN!

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Toos and sennies, to me, were always the hardest ones to predict.

Amazons and macaws were always the easiest.

Yes! My Sennie relative Red Bellied would give such a subtle warning that it is virtually undetectable by humans! Either that or you only get a SECOND of eye pinning or other warning (too fast for reflexes) before the pit bull attack! Also he can lure you in and put his head down to ask for skritches to get your flesh near enough then BAM! Finally not so much now that he's an older guy. I love Poi's anyway :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well with sennies, my own personal observation is that I think they communicate a little more than the other species with their beaks...

None of this eye flashing stuff. The nip IS the warning. NEXT TIME, IT'S GONNA BE A LOT HARDER! NOW KNOCK IT OFF...

Sennie-tude.

God forbid those little guys ever evolve to the size of macaws!

They'd take over parts of Africa... "Death from above!" :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Well with sennies, my own personal observation is that I think they communicate a little more than the other species with their beaks...

None of this eye flashing stuff. The nip IS the warning. NEXT TIME, IT'S GONNA BE A LOT HARDER! NOW KNOCK IT OFF...

Sennie-tude.

God forbid those little guys ever evolve to the size of macaws!

They'd take over parts of Africa... "Death from above!" :D

I agree. The Red Bellied and Senegal (esp. males) are the most similar in general personality characteristics of the small Poi's. Tenacious little creatures with big beaks for their size!

Most Reactions

Latest posts