Help with biting?

PKFreeze

Nov 11, 2016
Pennsylvania, US
Parrots
White-Wing Parakeet
Hi, I am new to this forum but mostly made this account to get some advice on my bird. His name is Fester and he is a canary winged parakeet of about 8 months old. I purchased him around a month and a half ago from my local Petco; he has been hand fed.
Lately I have been having a lot of trouble with him biting. I've read a decent amount about bird behavior and biting but every source I consult seems to have conflicting advice and not much has seemed to work. For the first week I had him he did not bite at all; and progressively it has been getting worse since then. Now every time I go to let him out of his cage he threatens to bite before I even open the latch on the door, he bites when I change his food or water, and threatens me when I come close to him while he is on his little playground that is next to his cage (he can climb to it at any time so long as he is out of his cage). Most of the time his bites hurt immensely, and he has drawn blood several times. I have tried pushing back on him, I've tried ignoring him, I've tried putting him back in his cage and covering it with a blanket immediately after the bite, I've talked to him sternly, but still the behavior won't stop and seems to only be getting worse. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong and I'm worried that this is putting a damper on our relationship. Lately I have been reluctant to even interact with him at all because of his bites. He has bitten my lip, neck and cheek before too, while sitting on my shoulder.
I have noticed that this behavior seems to diminish when he's away from his cage, which leads me to believe that it could be a territorial issue, but he still does bite away from the cage (but usually does not draw blood in this instance). If he is in his cage and I leave the room he will scream, usually until I come back, yet still does not seem happy to see me.
I am also not sure if it may be hormonal. If it may help, I am female, but I do not actually know his sex as he was never tested for it and the workers at Petco didn't know.
Please, any help and advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sure you all get threads like this a lot but I don't know where else to go for help. I know Fester has the potential to be a sweet and loving bird, and I have seen this side of him before. I want him to be a trusting and loyal companion, and I want him to see the same in me. Thank you!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Take everything I say with SEVERAL grains of salt...
I'm not sure, but I may be somewhat famous for being the SURRENDER parront!
I have reduced biting to almost zero over the decades... not because I've changed the bird, but I have changed me. And a lot of that has involved giving up on a lot of my desires/expectations. After years of battle, I surrendered. I don't do stuff that gets me bitten. I don't scratch his head much, ever... tail is okay. I NEVER do stuff that makes him mad... I don't touch others when he's out; I rarely try to get him to step up onto my hand first. Hand-held perch first, then hand. In some ways, I swallow my disappointment at having such a little monster for a pet, but he is what he is. I ALWAYS wear my hair down when he's on my shoulder, so all he can bite is hair.
Since he's fully flighted, the ONLY way I get him into the cage is to toss a chile pepper in and he flaps in after it.
Please take and use all the great advice you'll get here. But wherever the dust settles, try to let it be okay. Parrots are wild animals. The Rickeybird is one generation out of the wilds of Patagonia, and he acts like it.

Good luck. Glad you found us; glad you're researching and reaching out.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome! Sorry for your hard time! Yes, cage aggression! There is some good reading in these links!

"The only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs."

http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57935-brainstorming-biting-parrots.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/24245-realization.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/36419-dealing-aggression-parrots.html
I really must add this quote (Sailboat),
"It is NEVER the fault of the Parrot! It is always the fault of the Human!!! By starting from this position, the Human more quickly finds and corrects what they are doing wrong!!!"
The logic of it just clicked!
Your little guy isn't doing wrong, or being evil!

Most Reactions

Latest posts