help with my kakarikis

stans

Aug 3, 2011
hi everyone, im new to this sort of thing,
can anyone help please, i have 2 kakarikis i think male and female, i pot them together they got on after a couple of days, the one bird i think is the male was feeding the other bird, now since i have put in a nest box the female wont let the other bird up the cage? my male bird i think will watch the other when it gets close to him, and he now sitts in the corner for a while, can anyone help on please, and thankyou:confused:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Take the nest box out until the bond. You may have to even get a DNA to make sure you actually have a pair if you bought them for the purpose of breeding. I am guessing you haven't had them very long, also do you know how old they are.

OP
S

stans

Aug 3, 2011
hi thanks for your reply, my wife got me the male for fathers day last year, so its ove 1 year old, the other came from a breeder who said its a female i now him, its about 8 months old? looks alot smaller than my male it also has a smaller head thanks alan

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Your hen maybe a bit on the young side & isn't ready to breed. I would still let them bond before introducing the nest box. I would put the box back in prior to the next breeding season. But that is only my opinion.

OP
S

stans

Aug 3, 2011
ok thanks i will take the box out tomorrow,she is leaning on the perch swalking but he doe`s nothing he might be gay lol only joking cheers alan

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I agree with what Pedro says as well!!!! I would remove the nest box as well...

OP
S

stans

Aug 3, 2011
thanks for the info, i think the female is ready she leans on the perch giving a sqwalking sound or chuntering sound the male only went to her and bit her backside then went away, im not sure if the male knows what to do lol cheers alan

Most Reactions