Help with my male umbrella Cocaktoo

Skull

Oct 9, 2023
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
Hello, I bougt a Male Unbrella cockatoo from a pet store, he has 1.5 years old aprox, I bought it seven days ago, the thing is that he only eat sunflowers seed, sweet corn, papaya and water melon. I gave him raw veggies and dindn’t eat, I clocked it same thing, I made and veggies salad with corn pasta and mixed with some baby bird food didn’t eat, try with brown rice pasta and same thing,I bought 2 types of pellets didn’t like same as banana, guava, melon, and strawberry Fruits, he taste everything with his tongue and take out of the bowl and throw it on the floo, and when I mix veggies with sunflowers seed or papaya he only eats that and others trow it.

The other thing is every time that I get close to him some times he crouches so as not to be grabbed by the paw, he always walk to the other side of the cage and always when someone or I touch him he makes a sound like chewing gun with its beak. Also I open the door cage and he stay inside. He always stay in the same spot in the cage, I put music dance, sing and he doesn’t move, I tried to play with him and he doesn’t move.

Yesterday I opened the door cage and he go out and hang outside cage, I touch his head and made a sound like when you touch a cat and purrs, I think is a confortable sound, I try to take him by his paw and he garb very strong the cage, So I decided to call to the pet shop and ask if he say something there and the girl says Yes he says Hello, but with me it doesn’ make any sound or word.

Today I decided to take him out the cage, at first when I touch very soft and gently he crouches, so I step back and wait a little bit, the second time the same thing, and so on several times, until I decided to try the last time and garb his paw he try to bit my hand but very very soft and gently and finally take ot of the cage, he was shaking a little and I put it in my lap and touch it very soft until he calm down, so I put it in a wood perch, and he stay inmobile, no sound, no moving, no nothing, I think that he fells that he wants go to the cage again.

I hope you can help me with this.

OP
S

Skull

Oct 9, 2023
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
I forgot tell you something, when I tuch him under the wings my hand turn white, it is some king of white dust

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Cockatoos are a very dusty breed of bird, so that’s normal!
Go slowly with your bird and be patient. It can be very scary for them to move to a new home and they need time to adjust. Let your bird decide when he is ready to come out of his cage and interact with you; don’t force him. It can take months to earn a bird’s trust but if he is beginning to let you touch him, then you are already making progress!

As for the food, continue to offer different foods. Sometimes it takes them a while to decide that they like something. Mixing the new food with food he likes is a good idea and I would say keep trying that. Sometimes if you eat a food in front of a bird and then offer him a bite he will try it too! Be patient with earning the trust of your new bird and you will have a friend for life ❤️.

Most Reactions

Latest posts